This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Update BIOS through Zorin

garbanzhell

Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:23:27 pm

Hello, complete newbie here. I recently installed Zorin Lite on my DELL Inspirion 1501, deleting the Windows partition (I know, bad idea). The problem is, when the BIOS boots, it shows a warning message about not recognising the battery. The Inspiron series is known to have this kind of problems, and I searched around and found that I would need to update my BIOS, but I don't know how to do it through Zorin, since I have no clue on how to work with Unix environments.

Any ideas?

As a side note: Any good suggestions on guides to getting started with Zorin/Unix?

Thanks in advance

Wolfgang02

Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:40:29 pm

I found an answer on an Ubuntu forum and as Zorin is built on Ubuntu then it might work for you. Have a look here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=988996

As far as an official guide, then all I can say is good luck on getting one :lol: BUT swarfender427 is working on an unofficial guide (may be ask him how far has he got) ALSO http://zoringroup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5564 this is the Ubuntu guide and as it is similar to Zorin then it should give you a good starting point.

If you need help, there are a few of us here who love to help you so please ask away. Even the simple questions are answered as we were all new to this (I am still learning as I only moved over becasue of XP support ending)

Let us know how you get on and let us know if you need any other help.

Swarfendor437

Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:53:43 am

Hi sorry I have not got back to you. Usually, Bios Updates are put in a .zip file. Have you got access to another computer to extract the files to CD (or bootable USB?) - Normally I never run a BIOS update from within any OS - modern Motherboards have a setting on boot to do this from here AFTER you have downloaded the update to a location of your choice.

Keep us posted! :D