This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Can't open "New to Linux?" guide

muchmoredoc

Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:33:54 am

When I extract the .zip I get a file ending in .mht. When I try to open it, I get this error:

Invalid url: '/home/james/.cache/.fr-OnlouL/New' given, exiting

No ':' in the uri

From what research I was able to do, I believe this .mht is a MIME file?

I can't find a way to open this document. Please help.

Running 6.4 32-bit on AMD Athlon II X2 250 x2

Swarfendor437

Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:08:17 pm

Hi, it is a .zip file of an .mht (web page) off a cover disc of Linux Format - you may need to install 7-zip - you could install the Windows version if you like and install using wine - I will repack as a .bz2 which should allow you to open with Archive manager! :D

muchmoredoc

Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:21:23 am

Thank you for the effort, Swarfendor,
I downloaded the newly packed .bz2 version. I extract it and get the same .mht file.
When I attempt to open the .mht file with Archive manager, I get this error:

Could not open "New to Linux.mht"
Archive type not supported.

This is baffling to me. I know this should be a slam-dunk operation. Clueless as to how to resolve it.

Perhaps I will upgrade to the new OS9 release and hope many of this problems I am having evaporate.

Wolfgang02

Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:53:07 am

Web page archive saved with Internet Explorer; formatted using MIME HTML or "MHTML," which saves HTML, images and other media files into a single file; encoded with .MIME encoding.
from http://www.fileinfo.com/extension/mht

If you look at a html file. the images are stored in directories which means if you save a html file you will get all the text but no images, however save the html file with mime encoding and you get all the images as well as the text.

The advantages of a user manual or a guide being saved as a mht file should be obvious.
1. Cross platform compatability
2. A contents page with hyper links to the relavent sections with a back to contents page hyper link.

In Short
To open the mht file, just load it into any web browser on any platform and it should work.
Please remember to extract the file first - like you already have done

If you need help on how to load it into a web browser let us know.

Swarfendor437

Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:57:30 am

I see where the issue is - the default 'open' link is usually tied to 'Archive Manager' - instead, right click and choose - Open with - the glorious poor updates of Nautilus/Gnome 3? :D