This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

N00b question on installing video driver

HoarceHH

Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:43:35 am

Hi all,

Zorin is my first foray into the world of Linux and I'm feeling a bit lost. I've installed Zorin Lite on a brand new desktop, have installed a new video card and downloaded the driver (the card only came with Windows drivers). Problem now is that I've no idea how to install the driver :-/

It's a .run file, but when I double-click it seems to open in a text editor rather than executing. I've managed to find the file in the Terminal, but no idea what I'm supposed to do with it.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Wolfgang02

Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:50:44 am

First of all, Welcome

Secondly, depending on the brand of graphics card would depend on the install process. Wolfman has written some very helpful and easy to understand "how to guides" on installing different brands of graphics cards. If you would like to give details of the graphics card you have purchased along with the OS version you are using and then we will be more then happy to help you.

Some graphics cards are just plug and play but others need to be installed and the process can be straight forward.

HoarceHH

Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:35:57 am

Hi and thanks for the response.

My card is an Nvidia GeForce GT 630 and I've got Zorin Lite installed (I'm at work right now so can't check the version).

The card is working, but based on previous experience with Windows machines, I assumed I would need to install drivers to get the most out of it.

I've not had much time to play with the OS yet, so don't yet know where to find the (what I would call) basics such as display settings, available disk space etc. Is it easy to check whether I actually need to install drivers?

Swarfendor437

Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:03:41 pm

If you can see your desktop - it's working! :D

Wolfgang02

Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:36:49 am

HoarceHH wrote:The card is working, but based on previous experience with Windows machines, I assumed I would need to install drivers to get the most out of it.

Like Swarfendor437 has already said, it is installed. This is not like windows, the Linux kernal has all the drivers installed in it already and knows how to get the most out of it. Better still, it is already optimised as well so nothing more to do but enjoy.

HoarceHH wrote:I've not had much time to play with the OS yet, so don't yet know where to find the (what I would call) basics such as display settings, available disk space etc.

This should be put as a seperate question and may be one of the mods may be able to move it for us. These basics are available from Start -> System Settings (on the right hand side of the menu)

I check the available disk space by using gparted or by the command prompt. From the command prompt:
1. Open a terminal (press CTRL + ALT + T) or Start -> Accessories -> Terminal
2. (
Code:
df

Hope that helps a little

Linx

Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:16:04 pm

Personally I really like using a program called jockey to install my nvidia drivers.

Code:
sudo apt-get install jockey-gtk

then run it and it will search for and install drivers.

looks like it has been replaced by ubuntu-drivers-common, I haven't used it since the change.
It comes preinstalled in 9 Core you can find it at [Zorin Menu] > [System Tools] > [Preferences] > [Additional Drivers]

Hope this helps!

Wolfman

Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:19:29 am

Hi,

see the Nvidia driver guide here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2490