This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Zorin and TP-Link Powerline

finvarra

Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:09:19 pm

Here's the very frustrating issue: I just installed Zorin 9 in a desktop - and love it. The ethernet connection works perfectly when wired directly to my router. However, I intend to use the computer as a media center in another room connected to my network through a TP-Link PowerLine Adapter. This has worked when using Win 7 (it is supposed to be Linux compatible)... but I haven't been able to connect with my network. I was able to make a connection using manual ethernet settings. However, my router doesn't see it... so I can't get online. Anyone have any similar experience? Any suggestions? (Let me warn you in advance: I'm a linux noob so please be gentle.) Thanks for any direction.

Swarfendor437

Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:52:32 pm

Hi, I have yet to install the latest release but on earlier versions I did not have any issues with my Netgear Home Plug - which I am guessing is much of the same sameness:

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/ne ... powerline/

Mine isn't shown as it is a bit old now - but had no issues in Zorin 8. Await someone who has a TP-link. :)

madvinegar

Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:01:40 pm

These things usually work just by plugging the ethernet cables.
The only settings you can mess with as the ones regarding the security issues. But this can only be done using windows. There is no firmware/software available for linux.
Maybe when you were using win7 you altered some settings and now you need to set everything back to default so as to work with linux as well. But this can only be done with a laptop/PC running windows.

finvarra

Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:02:40 pm

I finally just reset the PowerLine... and it started working. Thanks! Problem Solved!

Swarfendor437

Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:51:41 pm

Hi, Glad you are sorted - forgot about the little reset buttons on those things! :D Have marked as [SOLVED]