This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Installation hangs at "creating user" Dual boot, dual HDD.

zedzeronone

Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:56:53 pm

Hello,
I seem to be experiencing an installation hang at the point where the graphic interface says "creating user". I checked to make sure the MD5 hash was correct on both the download & burned iso disk. It could be due to me creating a encrypted home folder, but I am not sure. I am dual booting Windows 7 home premium & Zorin 9 Ultimate. I have the Windows OS on a separate internal HDD. Grub is controlling the boot environment. I should mention that I am overwriting a previous installation of Zorin on the targeted HDD for installation (12.04 I think, it was the last LTS version of Zorin Ultimate). I also made sure to burn the disk on the slowest speed, so this is why i was speculating that it was a possible problem with the encrypted home folder setup method. The context under the "creating user" field (where the command prompt can be shown/expanded says the following : Jul 18 16:17:01 zorin-os CRON[27333]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)

It has a few messages similar to this before the one i just posted. It looks like a time log of attempted commands, but I am not certain what the function of this string is. If anyone can help, I thank you for your time in advance. The OS looks great from what I see so far, hopefully I can get it sorted out with a little help. :D

Swarfendor437

Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:22:52 pm

Hi, you are the second person to report this problem - could you please PM AZorin and zorink - the Admins? Thanks!

By the way I have amended my dual boot instructions - please dual-boot the 'Matthew Moore' way:

Link to YouTube video here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6075

And no you should NEVER attempt to encrypt at boot time - if this resolves the issue, please report back before PM'ing Admins. Thanks! :D

zedzeronone

Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:16:53 am

Hello again ! ,
Sure thing, I will forward my installation problem as posted in this thread as a PM to Azorin & zorink(i'll edit it to be a little more concise and precise). I have, however, resolved the issue on my own. It appears my suspicions and your warnings were right, I should have never tried the encrypted home folder option during installation. I got it up and running fine after a few partition changes and a clean install. Sadly, I fixed the installation ,by starting over and installing as I normally would have, before I noticed your reply about the post that Mathew Moore did pertaining to the mbr edit video he created as an instructional video ;-(. What's even worse is, I actually had the last LTS Zorin OS set up that way with easybcd. I had even donated to their project a few years ago, and had completely forgotten about easybcd.I will tinker with that later on next week just to test it out. I must say, I am very much enjoying Zorin 9U. I was getting a little tired of the standard Ubuntu & Mint distro's. Zorin makes the transition for people in my family a little easier ,also , since they are generally Windows or Macintosh users. I have been customizing it further with great results. It actually impressed a couple of friends who have never even heard of Linux, especially the compiz cube and windows action settings. You guys did a great job on this distribution, kudos. Also, the dark blue and dark themes are awesome. It is a lot less stressfull on the eyes looking at the darker themes with a lighter text in the background. I'm gonna see if I can toy with the system audio alerts next >;-). Anyway, sorry for babbling on forever, but I will make it a point to PM Azorin & zorink with the original problem. BTW, the grub splash screen you guys/gals created is so much more aesthetically pleasing than the standard grub screen I am used to. Thanks for the help & TTYL. ;-)