This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

PCManFM

shemesh1379

Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:21:52 pm

Hello! Just install Zorin OS 9 Core edition and it's the best ever. I have install via terminal the PCManFM file manager and would like to use this as my default file manager. I have looked for Preferred Applications in Administration, Preferences and System Settings and it's nowhere to be found. Is Preferred Applications under another category, or not installed? Please advise and thank you so much for you help!

Zorin Team you guys rock!!!

Swarfendor437

Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:10:56 pm

I could be wrong but PCManFM is really for XFCE/LXDE environments - try Thunar instead! ;)

shemesh1379

Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:44:18 pm

You're right actually. It's used frequently on the xfce and lxde desktop but the Thunar File Manager is the default in these. But, I've also used PCManFM as the default file manager in both MATE and Cinnamon desktops with no issues. In fact, PCManFM came in as the default file manager for both MATE and Cinnamon desktops when I played around with Linux Mint MATE and Cinnamon. I found that Distros Xubuntu, Linux Mint MATE and Cinnamon all had Preferred Applications as an listing under the System Settings or Preferred Applications. And, that's where I was able to make the change if needed to make PCManFM my default file manager.

But, Zorin is my home now and I'd like to make this work here. How can I install and enable Preferred Applications and make PCManFM the default file manager?

Thanks again :-)

Swarfendor437

Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:56:56 am

Hi, this looks EXTREMELY interesting! :D :D :D :D

http://ubuntuportal.com/2014/05/how-to- ... -tahr.html