This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Confiruring Firefox ?

Henriolavi

Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:16:47 pm

Hi

I try to configure Firefox with the new Zorin Startpage. I stucked at the following question:

In the "Zorin Start page" there are four active search links, Google, Wikipedia, You Tube, and Twitter.

You Tube.png

and on the "New Tab" possibility to add nine more "tiles" as short cuts to web pages, but I did not find any possibility to add more than those nine to that page.

New Tab pin.png

Is there any possibility to add more shortcuts to that page?

Swarfendor437

Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:32:12 pm

Sorry friend - I have abandoned the Zorin DE for Gnome - much calmer and less stressful for me - and firefox 30 without the (sorry guys) spyware garbage:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7878

Henriolavi

Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:38:49 am

Hi

Don't over stress yourself, however I don't know whether I got the message and an answer to my question. I am little out of the map with the browser selections, what could and should be done with Firefox. I try to find out whether it can replace Chrome and to be the only installed browser, but seems not to be possible in full extend. There came an update that solves (I suppose) the start page change problem.

What about the Firefox 30, is it somehow better version than the one installed as default? Can it ie. upload pictures to forum or not? In case not then there have to be an other browser to do that. What about Chromium which is installed to Ubuntu 14.04 LTS as default. It is an open source version of Chrome not having the spy function included?

Chromium.png

I tried with Firefox to load this picture and it worked ok. I installed now additionally Chromium instead of Chrome from Software Center.

I pinned some web applications to the "New Tab" page in Firefox. All those I tried worked but apps like "G-tanslate" or "iStart Simple Weather" did not keep the language settings. This clock app keeps the language due to the code is separately included in the URL address.

clock.png

The explanation can also partially be included to the text in the yellow box. Firefox does not make the automatic translation.

Ubersetzer.jpg

This is the same page opened with Chromium automatically translated. I don't know where it takes this language information.

Kääntäjä.jpg

Swarfendor437

Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:15:49 pm

Hi, I have always had issues with Firefox not uploading pictures - try Midori out and you will see what I mean. I do like the fact that the guys included the last best offering that Opera ever had to offer - 12.16 - that is what installs when you click on the Web Browser Manager. I have uninstalled Firefox anyway (too close a link to Google for my liking! :D ).

Henriolavi

Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:37:46 am

Thanks for suggestions to try other browsers, but based on my short review until now of Firefox's functionality, with not so good results, I believe that I use mainly now the Chromium to keep language translation and also iStart functioning with much more complete functionality. Chromium seems to be a good solution at the moment for me having also exellent browsing speed performance. I look along time how things develop further and will review also the additional alternatives.

Wolfman

Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:49:53 am

Hi,

this may not help you much but start here:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/produ ... d-settings

Henriolavi

Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:13:56 am

Hi

Thanks for the guide. I find there the language selection (missed earlier) and it worked at leat with this Weather application. I will look it closer later whether there are something more beneficial information for additional configurations.

Almost translated, but looks good sofar, we have warm and sunny here.
Weather fi.jpg

The language preferences can be added and order changed from the Firefox menu > preferences > content
Language selection.png

Henriolavi

Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:04:03 pm

Hi

I asked already earlyer here whether it is possible to add shortcut tiles to the New Tab page. Now after update of Firefox there are only 6 shortcut places available and the page is now almost empty.

New page tiles.jpg

The additional pinned shortcuts can be popped up by draging there some tile down and to make the change to some of those. I do not really know how this page has really designed to be used ? Has anyone better knowledge how to change this page to get there more shortcuts pinned and shown?

New Tap Page.jpg

jonas99

Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:50:44 pm

Hi Henriolavi looks like the new version of Firefox (31)limits you to six tiles. I dropped Firefox for Pale Moon. (Still shows 16 tiles) Its a clone of Firefox 29. based on Firefox code. so it uses all of your favorite Firefox addons. Looks like firefox allows you to upload imgs to forum and still retains the old sync. also works with pipelight (silverlight) to watch Netfix.

Give it a try.
http://www.palemoon.org/

Henriolavi

Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:34:22 am

OK, Thanks for your reply and suggestion to try Palemoon. I have also suggestions to go to Opera or Midori. I have now however a working solution with Chromium and it fulfills my present needs for a web browser. I tried to look whether Firefox works equally or better for me but it does not. :? Not at least with this upgraded new version. :( I try still figure out where is the added value there? I feel that I am now the blue one Angry Bird looking whats going on with Firefox. Google has launched a whole os. build on web browser, so browsers are no more what they used to be.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I made update to an other Zorin 9 installation and there I got the Firefox 31 version that looks like this with 9 tiles and search window on the New Tab page. It seems to be by default the Ubuntu start page version there which includes some links (shortcuts) that however doesn't work. Start page can be changed to any of your favorite web pages. There are search window, 1+9 shortcuts plus bookmarks and browsing history to access web pages. UI is here very conventional.

Firefox 31.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last update installed "Zorin OS Start Page" as default to Firefox. The "New Tab" bage is the same with 9 shotcut tiles like in the picture.

Henriolavi

Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:57:08 pm

Hi

Does anyone know whether the dark theme (Zorin theme) background disappeared permanently from the New Tab page in Firefox when the 31.0 version was updated. Dark was better background for often white colored tiles. I have not figured out any possibility to change it from white? :( Re: the first two screenshots earlier.

Swarfendor437

Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:38:05 am

Hi, have you looked at Firefox 'Personalization' add in? ;)

Henriolavi

Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:33:03 pm

There are only these two alternatives in the add on "Appearance"

New tab page.jpg

New tab Zorin.jpg

I do not know why they removed tiles from 9 to 6 in the Zorin theme. It did not allow to put Angry Birds theme there either.

There are huge amount of apps in the " add ons" but not any clear one to make the background color or picture changes to New Tab page. I tried one coloring app, but you can guess ... did not work. But what is good , there seems to be 18 thousand more apps to try. :lol: