This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Edit system settings menu

Wine_Curmudgeon

Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:15:54 pm

Is there a way to do it, to add categories in addition to the ones that are on there? For instance, I'd like to add startup, which is in the Xubuntu system settings.

Swarfendor437

Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:55:25 am

Because you quoted Xubuntu is this question aimed at Zorin Lite? :D

Wine_Curmudgeon

Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:21:48 pm

No, this is for Zorin 9 core. I've been running Xubuntu 14.04 on my desktop, but fell in love with the Elementary wingpanel, and Elementary is still too buggy for me. So this is the closest I could find. I've been impressed -- seems more responsive than Mint, but doesn't take up too much more in the way of resources than Xubuntu.

I just wish it was a little more customizable, though I realize that's not the point of the distribution. Hence asking about editing the settings menu.

Swarfendor437

Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:21:28 pm

HI just so I am not getting hold the wrong end of what you are trying to say, do you mean the main menu or this:

03.jpg

Wine_Curmudgeon

Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:43:18 pm

That's the menu I mean.

Swarfendor437

Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:08:22 pm

Hi, I never knew it was possible to edit the Settings Menu in other distributions - the one shown is not the standard one as I have Gnome DE installed - and that is why Ubuntu Tweak is showing as it should! ;)

Wine_Curmudgeon

Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:53:16 am

Thanks. That would explain it.

jonas99

Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:32:16 pm

Hey guys the last update installed "Main Menu" under Accessories.

Main Menu.png

If your looking to get a program to run at startup add it to Startup Applications

Startup Applications Preferences.png

Menu-System Tools-Preferences-Startup Applications

if you want to add to system setting google this (edit gnome control panel) ask ubuntu has a write up one how to do it and why the feature is not avail.

Swarfendor437

Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:48:26 pm

Hi jonas99, no it's not what the OP was after - he was referring to System Settings (aka Control Panel in Windows) - that is why I asked the question for Clarity - now that Zorin have released a fix for the Main Menu (alacarte) it is editable - but not 'System Settings'. I was pleased to see that Ubuntu Tweak managed to make it in there but that was at a cost of losing the Zorin DE for the Gnome DE! :D

Wine_Curmudgeon

Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:04:29 pm

That's the crux of the issue. Though I was glad to see alacarte. It's an old friend from Xubuntu.