This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Annoying Problem that doesn-t allow me to install zorin

FreezingPT

Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:51:53 am

Hi.

The zorin OS I am installig is zorin 9 and I'm installing it in a flash drive, not the first time so I know more or less how to do it.
It's all good, I'm installing It but I have previously installed windows7 in my pc so that I can have both systems and the problem is that it doesn't recognise that windows 7 is installed in the PC.
If it helps I tried installing Zorin as the only OS in the PC and when I finish and I'm starting the screen goes black and a gnu grub command line appears

Thank you

Swarfendor437

Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:46:07 am

Please follow Matthew Moore's excellent video tutorial - link here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6075

Wolfman

Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:36:42 am

Hi,

how did you set-up your partitions?:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4848&p=22956#p22956

FreezingPT

Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:28:53 pm

What I basically did was install windows, then partitioned like this topic refers viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6075 wich was: I basically used a windows program to create 2 partitions and reduced the windows partition to 160gb, nothing more.
The only problem in that topic is that my motherboard (asus z7 pro) doesn't allow me to boot into Gparted dispite me disabling all the security (I think). So what I did was creating a pen with zorin (and let zorin do the partition) using Universal USB installer and booted it in my pc, do the steps and It doesn't recognizes that I have windows 7 installed.

Swarfendor437

Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:12:06 am

I get lots of different returns when searching for that mobo of yours - could you be kind enough to give a more specific model number! ;)

Wolfman

Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:47:33 am

Hi,

when you installed Zorin OS, did you select the correct method of installation, there are a few options and the first may well have wiped Windows 7 from your HDD.

If you have a Gparted disk, you must make sure that you boot from the disk by setting BIOS to boot from CDROM as first device, Gparted is already included with Zorin OS so you don't need another partition manager if you boot from the Zorin disk.

Your partitions should look like the first section of the partition guide link I posted earlier.

FreezingPT

Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:54:56 am

Ok so my board is asus z97 pro wifi. When I booted Gparted from the CD it went well, since I was in Gparted menu, I chosed the language and what I wanted to do. The thing is that after I do that It's just blocked, it doesn't do anything more, and I believe my motherboard is the culprit.

About the installation of the OS zorin I actually didn't install anything since I, like you said, saw that it didn't recognized that I had windows and would wipe everything, which didn't happen because I can use windows.

Now about the partitions, I'm going to check that out.

A question. Me messing up in the way I do the partitions in windows could be the cause for zorin not knowing that I have windows installed?

thanks

Swarfendor437

Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:47:54 am

Hi, I hope to have my video on dual install using the Matthew Moore method on line by the weekend - stay tuned! :D