This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED]Main Menu editor not working ?

Henriolavi

Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:29:41 am

Hi

I made the update which should include the bug fix of the menu editor. Now there seems to be two alternatives and neither of them does not work.

main menu.png

Swarfendor437

Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:21:26 am

I have just reinstalled alongside Windows 7 using Easy BCD 2.2 Community Edition - no such issues here - updates from Zorin came through very quick through Software Updater - after reboot could edit menu! (and Opera finally showed up after installing it prior to updates) :D

Henriolavi

Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:40:36 am

Main Menu works partially. Items can be added to the menus but not removed. Here one example, I ticked off the Google Search but it is still on the menu. iStart Simple Weather is on the menu but not shown in the editor's items list at all. I have tried to reboot after changes but no difference. I checked also the updates and it says that software is up to date. So, does not work ??? :(

main menu other.jpg

Wolfman

Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:54:49 am

Hi,

as a test, I deleted "Desktop Sharing" from the main menu, you did highlight the app you wanted to delete first didn't you?.

Main Menu_001.jpg

Main Menu_002.jpg

Henriolavi

Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:08:47 am

Yes, now it works. I did not delete the items only ticked off, but that was not enough. If wanted to get it back to menu so have to add back to the list first ? I don't know what is the function of "Show" then ? Logically it doesn't operate consistently. When ticked "on" the item appears to the menu but when ticked "off" it does not remove it. :)

How then this "New Item" works to get it back if the item disappears from Main Menu list?
New Item.png

I found out that there have to be looked the "command" of the software to be added to the Main Menu list. These commands can be found from the software folders where the software are stored. So it is slightly complicated to add New Items there. The "Browse" opens only the "Home" folder, nothing more.

Swarfendor437

Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:46:33 am

Hi, I unchecked firefox and it no longer showed - I suspect you are having issues that are non-Zorin, non-Canonical products! :D

Henriolavi

Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:56:55 am

Hi

I don't understand your reply. This is not related to Firefox at all. It is only to find out how the "Main Menu" editor works? How to add and remove the "Zorin Menu" items there? :)

Swarfendor437

Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:58:42 am

What I am saying is that the issue you appear to be having with is a 3rd Party application that is not found in the usual repositories? :D

Henriolavi

Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:11:16 pm

Yes, that might be true that those are not found there, but that is not the issue here. It only happends to appear in the "Other" gathegory in the "Main Menu" which is used only as an example here. :D

It could be beneficial to have a guide how to edit the "Zorin Menu" with "Main Menu" editor when it is now by default installed to Zorin 9.

Swarfendor437

Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:12:18 pm

OK, I have nothing in 'Other' just check marked 'Connect to server' and it is working - reinstall and re-update? :?:

Henriolavi

Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:37:25 am

Hi

What comes to "Other" in "Main Menu" the content depends on what sw and which browsers has been installed and also which apps or add-ons there are used. By default those are ticked "off" and not shown in the "Zorin Menu".

other.png

My question is whether it is the only possibility to "Delete" menu items in the "Main Menu"editor which you want to remove from the "Zorin Menu" according to Wolfmans example here earlier shows. And also whether "Main Manu" is working then ok. if the "Show" ticked "off" does dot remove the menu items from "Zorin Menu".

This question is not only related to "Others" category it is common to all others too. I don't want to go to reinstall before knowing if there is a bug or this "feature" in the software ? :?

Henriolavi

Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:26:49 am

Hi

Now I got it working completely. Had to remove the "alacarte" and reinstall "zorin menu editor". The update does/did not work perfectly if "alacarte"/"Main Menu" is installed. It does not remove it and then "Zorin menu editor" does not work. :D :D

Now Zorin menu items can be added and removed when ticked "on" and "off" using the menu editor.

Correction can be done in Synaptic removing "alacarte" and reinstalling "Zorin menu editor".

Henriolavi

Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:21:37 am

Now it is possible to remove also the overlapping menu items from preferences. No need for scroll bar any more. :D

Need for menu editor.png