This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

After install 'blank' desktop

dennisonline

Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:33:02 pm

I have installed the zorin-os-9-core-32.iso on two different computers. The install look OK. But after click OK to reboot after install, the screen stays light blue and nothing happens.
After a hard reset, the system boot up, gives a password prompt and after that I see only a desktop with a recycle bin and a Home folder. No start menu will shows.

If I press ctrl-alt-del and logoff, I see for a view seconds the a start menu below the screen.

What’s wrong?

PC1
CPU = Pentium 4 1800Mhz
MEM = 512MB (512)
VIDEO = Diamond Stealth III S540 PCI 32MB
HDD = 80Gb
Root = 78GB
SWAP = 2GB

PC2
CPU = Pentium 4 2400Mhz
MEM = 640MB (512 + 128)
HDD = 250GB
Root = 70GB
Swap = 2GB

Linx

Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:05:40 pm

What monitor are you using, you may be able to adjust the screen picture, and fix it that way. (I have a monitor at home, that will has the screen up enough for me to not be able to see the first line of my terminal, and a auto screen adjust fixes it with up )

What happens after another reboot?
What happens if you open terminal -- shotcut: [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[t]

dennisonline

Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:07:32 pm

Linx wrote:What monitor are you using, you may be able to adjust the screen picture, and fix it that way. (I have a monitor at home, that will has the screen up enough for me to not be able to see the first line of my terminal, and a auto screen adjust fixes it with up )

What happens after another reboot?
What happens if you open terminal -- shotcut: [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[t]

The screen that I used is a 17"LCD screen, I think it's not the resolution. Auto adjust works but not for showing the start menu.
I can get the terminal and in the syslog I see a lot of errors

After a reboot before I can login, I see a message: "System program problem detected" (next line) “Do you want to report the problem now?” than a black screen for more than 10 minutes. There’s no hard disk activity add that moment. After waiting I can login, but no start menu....

Swarfendor437

Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:06:32 pm

Hi, I think you have a couple of issues there based on your machines specifications:

PC 1 - only has a graphics card with 32 Mb Memory

PC2 - 640 Mb (512 + 128) - this indicates 128 Mb Memory allocated for Graphics with the rest for main memory usage.

I think both your PCs are sadly underpowered - you may have to wait for the release of Zorin 9 Lite edition - while you are waiting you may want to try LXLE or Linux Lite as possible alternatives. ;)

dennisonline

Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:11:06 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, I think you have a couple of issues there based on your machines specifications:

PC 1 - only has a graphics card with 32 Mb Memory

PC2 - 640 Mb (512 + 128) - this indicates 128 Mb Memory allocated for Graphics with the rest for main memory usage.

I think both your PCs are sadly underpowered - you may have to wait for the release of Zorin 9 Lite edition - while you are waiting you may want to try LXLE or Linux Lite as possible alternatives. ;)

PC2 have no shared memory for the videocard. The card is a GeForce FX 5200 128MB/64bit - Nvidia

On the webpage http://zorin-os.com/faq.html I read:
What are the minimum system requirements that I need to install Zorin OS?
For the Zorin Desktop based versions (not Lite):
1 GHz x86 processor
5 GB of Hard Drive space
512 MB of system memory (RAM)
Graphics card capable of 640x480 resolution

PC 2 have more than that, why will it not work? It's my old mediacenter and with Windows on it I had no errors :cry:

PC2
CPU = Pentium 4 2400Mhz
MEM = 640MB (512 + 128) (tested with memtest)
VC = GeForce FX 5200 128MB/64bit - Nvidia
MB = ASUS P4B
HDD = 250GB
Root = 70GB
Swap = 2GB

Swarfendor437

Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:21:47 pm

Hi, I really do think that that information needs updating - I would have said 1 Gb for smooth operation (like XP - 512 Mb was OK but 1 Gb was sweet). Now in your original posting you had not quoted the FX5200 - that 540 + 128 has always indicated that it is reserved memory for graphics (up to 128 Mb) of on-board vga - so you will not have access to that +128 - it is reserved entirely for graphics. I'm afraid the FX5200 could well be an issue as I have seen posts on here and on Ubuntu forums with that particular card. With regards PC1 you will certainly be having issues of it not running at all with a PCI card with only 32 Mb memory (I know because I have tried to do that on this rig with a Vanta SoundBlaster Graphics card with the same memory.

The best advice I can give you is if you can, upgrade the FX5200 to a higher AGP spec - I was luckky to get an 8x AGP card off the web for £44 when my old FX5700 256 Mb bit the dust recently! ;)

If upgrading is an issue, I suggest you either wait for Zorin Lite or in the meantime try LXLE - superb lightweight distro (http://lxle.net)

dennisonline

Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:45:32 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote: Now in your original posting you had not quoted the FX5200 - that 540 + 128 has always indicated that it is reserved memory for graphics (up to 128 Mb) of on-board vga - so you will not have access to that +128 - it is reserved entirely for graphics. I'm afraid the FX5200 could well be an issue as I have seen posts on here and on Ubuntu forums with that particular card. With regards PC1 you will certainly be having issues of it not running at all with a PCI card with only 32 Mb memory (I know because I have tried to do that on this rig with a Vanta SoundBlaster Graphics card with the same memory.

Hi,

I don't understand your explenation about the memory.
The 512 and 128 are both PC133 CL2 banks and there's no onboard VGA card. The system can used +/- 640MB.
I'll try zorin-os-8-lite on PC2 tomorrow, but I don't know why Zorin give's a lot of erros. And I can't beleve that the Nvidia card is to small for this work.

Thanks for the response :-)

Swarfendor437

Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:06:54 pm

Hi, Well firstly very surprised that you have got 512 and 128 working alongside each other! :D

The FX5200 isn't underpowered I just think there was an issue with another member - also seen issues with FX5200 while I was searching for other member on ubuntufoorums.

Please wait for Zorin 9 Lite as Zorin 8 Lite is end-of-life (like the version of Lubuntu on which it was based) ;)

Wolfman

Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:00:16 pm

Hi,

try running "DPKG" per this guide:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247