This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Link from Main Menu to Zorin menu editor broken

Henriolavi

Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:32:44 am

I removed "alacarte" and installed "Zorin menu editor" but it does not start from "Zorin Menu" when selecting there "Main Menu". Can be started only from search window typing "Zorin menu editor" there. then it lists "Main Menu" there and can be started. How to fix that ?

I have an other installation, Zorin 9 CR, and there the link is ok. and works fine. I have removed, reinstalled and updated but does not help.

This link only works, not the ones listed in "Accessories" (and also in "Preferences")
only works.jpg

Swarfendor437

Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:38:55 am

Hi, I think you meant RC not CR! ;) As it is a Release Candidate it will not have everything working as it should - hence it's name! :D

Henriolavi

Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:09:11 pm

Yes, RC, but if you read carefully so I said that there it works ok. but not in the final release of Zorin 9 Core. --- OK. that was not so clearly said that it is the final release where that link now don't work.
However the problem is how to fix it? ;)

Anonymous

Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:08:52 pm

Henriolavi > The last 18 installs I have done since the update fix... the [ Menu-Editor ] worked just fine.
I simply used the [ Menu-Editor ] .
Example in the [ Screenshot ]

Henriolavi

Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:58:25 pm

For some reason when I rebooted, the "Zorin Menu" did not appear to AWN, only an empy frame. I tried to install it back but did not appear there. I installed "Cairo Menu" instead and there the "Main Menu" editor launches ok. as seen from the picture. Now the problem is how to get back the "Zorin Menu" to AWN. I think that I have to make a new installation of the whole system to get it going?

Cairo Menu.png

Swarfendor437

Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:53:26 pm

To be honest that looks more like Docky in Zorin DE (MacOSX look) rather than Cairo-Dock - try this:

Open synaptic and search for 'Zorin' - right-click each and select 'Mark for reinstallation' after completion of install:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && suod apt-get upgrade

then

Code:
sudo apt-get dpkg --configure -a

Henriolavi

Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:15:18 pm

Hi and thanks

Zorin menu is back. OK

sudo apt-get dpkg --configure -a , option - - configure is not understood.

Zorin-menu-editor opens where it should open.... Start .. right click ... edit. Works.

Henriolavi

Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:30:50 am

Note following when using menu editors:

Alacarte and the Zorin Menu Editor look nearly identical. The only visual difference between the two is that Alacarte has a "Help" button in the bottom left corner of the window and the Zorin Menu Editor does not. Both appears using name Main Menu.

Zorin Menu Editor is used for editing Zorin Menu and Alacarte to edit the non- Zorin Menu menus like gnome-panel in the GNOME 2 look in the Look Changer.