This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Virtual Desktops or Workspaces

NFFCReds1

Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:39:30 am

I am using Zorin OS 9 with Win 7 clone GUI - all is good, but not sure how to activate multiple workspaces or virtual desktops. I must be losing my touch - always managed intuitively before.

I also want to get Compiz cube effect for changing between multiple workspaces.

Many Thanks,

Barrie Wood
Brixham, Devon, England.

Swarfendor437

Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:49:50 am

Hi Barrie, and Welcome to the Forum! :D

OK, right-click the dock (panel) and select 'Preferences'. Then click on the 'Applets' Tab - you need to install 'shiny switcher':

57.jpg

Drag down to where you want it to appear:

58.jpg

and Voila!

20.png
20.png (10.13 KiB)

To get the cube running which should be active by default, press down on the wheel of your mouse and move the mouse around - alternatively, press Ctrl+ Alt+ Left mouse button to rotate.

You can also have a 'running wall' - use Ctrl+ Alt+ Down arrow (cursor keys) and use left oir right cursor keys to 'move along' to a different desktop.

And for Aero effect between applications, Windows Key+ Alt+ Tab. :D

NFFCReds1

Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:14:30 pm

Many thanks - superb advice.

All I need now is the 'moving' waves desktop now. Hpow do I achieve this?

I hope I make sense here !!

Barrie Wood
Brixham, Devon, England.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:33:46 pm

OK, assuming you have purchased Ultimate, then go to System Tools, Zorin Background Plus - and click on start to get the moving background:

46.jpg

Or go to Background plus and 'set background' to the other moving screen:

50.jpg

or even choose one of your own movies! :D

beerem

Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:30:08 pm

This doesn't work anymore for Zorin 12

Swarfendor437

Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:51:07 pm

beerem wrote:This doesn't work anymore for Zorin 12

That's because it now uses Gnome Shell:

https://help.gnome.org/users/gnome-help ... ch.html.en

MBMz10

Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:51:32 pm

It sort of does but works differently than earlier versions of Zorin. If you press the Windows or Super key they show up on the right hand side, by default they are added 'Dynamically'.
I installed Gnome Tweak Tool and the bottom setting on the left hand side is 'Workspaces' where you can make it 'static' and set the number of workspaces you want. In the tweak tool under 'Extensions' you can find other settings to configure it more to your liking. I used 'Auto Move Windows' to place apps on the workspace I was used to having them on in previous versions of Zorin for example.

That said I'm not using Zorin 12 ATM as I just found this a little clunky and tedious for my liking, in Zorin 9-10-11 I could change workspace with a 'swipe' of the mouse and one click using "Expo" setting in Compiz but in Zorin 12 it was two hands and 3 clicks or so. Also in 9-10-11 the Desktop Cube looks and works cool as :D