This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

How to Install Canon Printer Scanner MG5500 on Zorin 9

Darklordsparda

Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:37:30 pm

Hello fellow Zorin user's,

I recently migrated from Window's XP. I am very pleased with Zorin 9 and it has pretty much recognised most of my hardware. The last fidly part that I am struggling with . I can install the canon printer via system settings! It will print no problem. I just can't get the scanner to work to work with Zorin I just wondered if anyone knows of straight forward way to get this working for a new user such as myself. I would be very grateful.

Thank you in advance.

Swarfendor437

Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:49:46 pm

Hi, accept the agreement here to download the Linux driver (.deb) package.

http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/cont ... 50602.html

Before doing anything with the download, open a terminal (Menu | Accessories | Terminal) and enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get install gdebi

Then go back to the downloaded printer/scanner package, right-click it and select 'Open with ..' and choose 'Gdebi' - after Gdebi has checked that all dependencies are present and whether notification of additional packages will be required, click on the 'Install' button. Then open a terminal again and enter:

Code:
system-config-printer

Click on 'Add Printer' and see if it picks up everything now - assuming you have a usb connection attached to your machine, it should pick it up straight off! Here's hoping! :D

Keep us posted!