This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) Zorin worked, but after re-install does not work.

PyRex

Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:40:51 am

Hello,
I am a new Linux user, getting some crash course training in how to use it. (Wow, seems to never change I just learned a LOT about GM vehicles when I changed out my engine for a new one)

Anyway,

I have a Compaq nc6220
mem 2GB
Intel Pent. M processor (centrino) 2.0ghz
GFX is Intel 915gm x86/mmx/sse2
HD 250 GB
Running with default settings (no extra partitions.)

I am giving this computer to some friends who are not very computer literate.
I was running XPsp3 but since it is not secure anymore (and I fear for their security) I wiped the HD with DBAN and researched Linux distros that are close to Windows. This one is the winner, and I will probably install this on my server at home to get some more experiance with runing a Linux system, and who knows maybe even change my Win 7 and 8.1 computers over to it someday.

I installed Zorin OS from a live cd and it ran great, I was about ready to call everything done when my wife told me I mis-spelled the name of the person I am giving the computer to. I changed the account name but the computer ID was fixed and since it was easy enough to install I decided to wipe the HD and re-install with the correct name.

Now I am kicking myself because the os will not boot. I am running from the live cd right now and it works fine, I tried using boot repair and it said it was sucessful, but it still won't boot. The repair tool gave me this address to paste to a forum, and seeing as this is the Zorin Forum, I figure this is probably the best place to get help! The url is: http://paste2.org/VZ7s4eBx

Thank you for any help you may be able to give me :)

-PyRex

Swarfendor437

Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:59:22 pm

Hi, Looking at that info you appear to have 2 Gb boot and the rest as swap so the installer went wrong. Please do this from Live disc.

1. run Gparte and delete all partitions on the drive.

2. Take a look at my Zorin 8 RC install video here to see how to set up the partitions - note - DON'T do what I did in the video - set up the partitions during the something else as formatting partitions before install will just need to be done again! (as you will see in the video!) ;)

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v67233697bJ2bS9jm

When setting up the new user account:

1. DON'T use capital letters!

2. When naming the computer, keep it all lowercase - no hyphens or underscores - even though the installer wants to do this!

3. DON'T attempt to encrypt the /home folder!

Keep us posted! :D

PyRex

Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:57:38 am

Thank you so much Swarfendor. Your instructions worked like a charm! I now have a working computer and the name is spelled right!

I am so thankful that there are forums and people like you who have been there that are willing to help!

Now to see how it installs on the "new" computer I have for a server.

Thanks again! :D
-PyRex

Swarfendor437

Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:58:42 am

No problemo friend! Always happy to help! :D