This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[RESOLVED] ssues with taskbar

Maerskian

Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:11:09 am

Hi there

Note: Feel free to skip the introduction ;-) , just felt like i should include it on my first message ^__^

First of all: i apologize my first message here is about reporting an issue . I'd absolutely love to hang around here & do it often, but real life smacks you in the face on a regular basis ... so in the end ... started here like i wanted to avoid :cry: ... oh well ... sorry for that.

Must confess i just discovered Zorin some time after "7" was released; at that time i was checking tons of different Linux distros, looking for the perfect fit ... i'm sure all of you know the story ... each one has its own needs and mine were very specific: a windows alternative ( on Linux) that could be installed on machines as old as a decade , run faster than windows xp , friendly for xp users/1st timers on linux ( my family ) , good looking if possible, and also wanted something for me ... some added "advanced" ( note the quote ) features for me to use/enjoy .

Found many remarkable Linux distros during that journey, but when i found Zorin ... knew i had my answer in front of my face: it's not only one the most xp/windows-users friendly Linux OSs i've seen, but it's also the perfect combination that adds good looks ( not to mention all those cool effects my family love so much ) , lightweight ( runs faster than XP and even some Lubuntu based distros ) and those "advanced" features i demand for myself ( something so simple as multi-desktops , changing to Gnome 2, etc... ) ...

I have 4 computers right now ( soon to be 5 ) ; out of those 4 only one is new, while the others are: an AMD Athlon ( one of the first 64 bit processors to be released ) from 2004 , a later AMD Athlon version from around 2006 and a compaq laptop from around 2006 as well with an Intel Dual Core processor.

Have been waiting an OS like Zorin to finally migrate from Windows to Linux for a long time, teaching all my family members open source alternatives to any software they used to work with ( from MS office to Open/Libre Office, took me a while to make 'em kick IExplorer ... from Photoshop to Gimp, etc ... ) so it'd make the transition from windows to Linux easier as well .

Being aware that Zorin 9 would be released "soon" , decided to wait until nowadays, so i could use the same OS for the next 5 years.

Right now, is installed ( and running smoothly ) on my Intel dual core laptop and also on the 2004 First-Gen-AMD Athlon computer as well . Works great, faster than Windows, and than most Linux distros i tried too !

----------------------------------------------------------------------- END of Introduction here :) -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everything was great until today. Suddenly, the right side of my task bar ( the one displaying the clock / calendar / volume control ... ) doesn't show properly, it's mostly grey instead and only can access the language options, nothing else.
I plugged my headphones today, and just realized about it when i was about to set the volume , so can't say i'm 100 % sure this was the cause.

Tried the easy way ( completely shutdown , then start the computer again ) but now it's permanent.

I wonder... is there any way to, somehow, reload that part of the taskbar ?

Thanks to everybody on this fantastic forum and a gazillion thanks for such fantastic OS !!

Swarfendor437

Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:42:11 am

Hi, the item is called 'indicator3 applet'. Try this first:

1. Right click the panel and select 'preferences' - go to 'applets' tab - the applet will show in the panel 'clone' right at the bottom of the applets tab as the letter 'i' in a blue circle - remove it and drag it back down again.

If this does not work, reinstall the AWN (avant-window-navigator) - but before doing this I did play around with this and lost it and when I tried to reinstall it said it had been replaced with 'avant-window-navigator'!

Open a terminal (Ctrl+ Alt+ T) and enter:

Code:
avant-window-navigator
and see if it launches a second instance of the panel with the indicator 3 applet intact.

Another possible solution is to also go to synaptic package manager:

Menu | System Tools | Administration | Synaptic Package Manager

search for 'avant-window-navigator' and mark them all for 'Reinstallation'.

Then open a terminal and enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

There were some bugs with the initial release that the last item might resolve - also your Software Updater should pick it up also! :D

Keep us posted - and thanks for the intro - oh, and Welcome! :D

Maerskian

Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:55:02 pm

Thanks a ton for the quick reply & warm welcome :D , thank you very much !

Don't know whether this is embarrassing or something to worry about in the future but ... it's fixed ! ... and did absolutely nothing !! >__>

Anyways, just realized now that once you switch between Win 7 - Win XP - Gnome 2 styles, these elements reload ( ? ) , so that would be something to try next time it happens.

Even so, your effort won't go to waste; not only it could help more people, but i'm also writing down a "walkthrough" for myself so i can find specific answers for known scenarios .

Should i update the system anyways ? It's a fresh installation ( just a few days ago ) and thought it already installed the latest updates along with the OS since it was connected to the net.

Thanks again for absolutely everything !!

Couldn't be more glad to be around ^__^

Swarfendor437

Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:07:38 pm

Hi, the updater should work but if you want to give those commands a try, feel free to use them or even use Software Updater itself from:

Menu | System Tools | Administration | Software Updater - you may want to make sure that the 'Settings' are set to 'Main Server':

33.jpg

Swarfendor437

Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:27:20 pm

Well I was in Zorin DE (no effects) and had to log out to get back into Zorin (with effects) to answer another forum member question - and guess what? same thing happened to me! :o

Solution? - right-click Dock | Preferences | Applets - removed and reinstalled appled - sorted! ;)

Maerskian

Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:26:05 am

Hi again , and sorry for not being able to follow up sooner .

First of all, couldn't try a thing yet .... seems like i can't get near that old computer for the time being .... since the current user like it so much :D . Don't have that much spare time to check it, but it's always busy .

Anyways, hopefully will be installing Zorin 9 on this ( mine ) computer ( hopefully ) in a day or two, so will be finally able to test & experiment with everything. It's a 2006 AMD Athlon with an integrated Nvidia graphic card, so i'm expecting similar circumstances to say the least ...

Needless to say, will try all that on the other computer too !

Now you mention it .... thought i just made a fresh installation and didn't touch a thing ... some effects were already enabled from the start, but now i think about it... i also added that liquid-windows effect as well, and that's when "that" happened .

Good thing you found a way to fix it . Will try it as soon as i can and write it down.

Also, for your information : What i did try was switching between different "looks" . Went from win 7 to Win Xp look, then back to Win 7 look .... and it was fixed once again ( yup, it happened again ) .

Thanks a lot for your help once again !

blfriis

Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:02:04 pm

Hi you can move the AWN to the top and then down again, then the missing indicater 3 returns.

Swarfendor437

Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:25:50 am

Or remove it altogether! ;)

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7983