This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Unable to Download OS 9

Agap8os

Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:38:50 pm

:? My /boot folder is totally PACKED! Ergo, I am unable to download any updates, including OS 9. When I examine the contents of /boot, they include such files as "abi-3.11.0-17-generic" and several similar, with other numbers in the locus of "17". Similarly, there are other files with names like config-3.11.0-17-generic" and their other-numbered iterations as well.

My question is, can I safely delete any of the ones with lower numbers (like 17-22) and just keep the latest ones (like 23 & 24)? Does each version/iteration address certain files, or do they all serve the same function?

If I CAN safely remove them, that will free up considerable space in /boot, making it possible for me to download and install OS 9.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!

Mick

Swarfendor437

Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:02:14 pm

Firstly your '/boot' folder is only to assist booting the system (personally the only time I have used this is on very small SSD configs on Asus eee901 netbooks) and should only be 512 Mb in size - period! :D

You are best configuring GNU/Linux the manual way - usually this is (for me):

1. Primary partition marked '/' and formatted to ext4 (30 Gb)

2. Extended Partition - at END create swap area of 4 Gb

2a. Everything in front of this format to ext4 and mark as '/home'

You should not have an issue with downloads - can you upload a screenshot of your partitioning? :D

Agap8os

Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:14:16 pm

Being a Linux newbie, I don't even know how to do what you suggested. If you could kind of walk me through it, I'd appreciate it.

I was a Win XP drone for about a decade. Then I got sick of BG's bull$#it and jumped ship.

The issue with downloads is that there's nowhere for them to go. Updates, that is.

Swarfendor437

Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:23:52 pm

Hi I tried to add a link to my tutorial video but had problems with wireless network I think! bear with!

1. In the Windows menu of Zorin (can you boot it?) search for GParted - it should be the only result in the menu:

05.png

I am having some Input/Output errors on my drive at present ( :o ) so can't get a screenshot of GParted - once you see the screen open up - follow the tutorial video instructions:

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v385833212XzmANbj

Agap8os

Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:32:06 pm

Windows Menu? I don't have Windows; I only have Zorin OS 8 Ultimate.

oops! gotta go...got an appt!

Swarfendor437

Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:36:08 pm

Sorry, Windows 'type' menu as in the screenshot I posted! - or do you use 'gnome' desktop? ;)

The missing picture:

42.png

Agap8os

Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:23:44 pm

I'm not sure why this isn't working...I took a screen shot and copied it to the clipboard...then I tried to paste it to this Reply. Nothing happened.

When I went to search for GParted, I got 73 hits. Of these, 8 are png images and 28 are broken links.

Agap8os

Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:50:51 am

Swarfendor437, this should be my GParted screen, if I did this right:

I don't see anything. My Forum site doesn't look like yours; I use Google Chrome, not Opera. Does that make a difference?

madvinegar

Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:35:23 am

You can also download and install ubuntu tweak. http://ubuntu-tweak.com/
After you install it, go to the last tab named "janitor" and clean all the unnecessary old kernels etc. It will clear a lot of space for your.

Swarfendor437

Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:15:06 pm

Hi madvinegar, I am a bit concerned about Agap8os /boot partition which should not get cluttered with stuff - hence the need for a screenshot.

@Agap8os - if you are having difficulties, could you please download a live CD of GParted from here - you should be able to save a screenshot temporarily to GParted desktop and post as stated above in my earlier posts.

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php