This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

zorin 8 upgrade failed and now hangs

jloyzaga

Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:17:35 am

I just got the prompt that zorin needed to update to ubuntu 14... being a newbie I thought ok

well it was not successful and now hangs with

continue to wait, press to skip mounting or M for manual recovery - I have a usb keyboard but it ddoes not recognise it

what do i do?

help!!! Joe

Swarfendor437

Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:21:22 pm

Hi, do you still have earlier kernels loaded? When you boot go to 'Advanced Boot Options' (second menu item in GRUB) and choose earlier kernels.

Once there, go to Update Manager/Software Updater and make sure that 'Update to latest version of Ubuntu' is set to 'Never'.

Keep us posted! :D

Wolfman

Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:48:43 pm

Hi,

if you chose to update Zorin OS using the Ubuntu distro updater, you borked the system, you should update your system using the "Something Else Method":

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4848

Your system update settings are covered here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

"Also note that where it states: "Notify me of a new Ubuntu version" is set to "Never". The reason is because if you allow it to update to any version of Ubuntu, you will most likely lose all your current settings and themes as a complete system update this way leads to the newest version of Ubuntu being installed!!."