This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

USB Bluetooth Headphones problem

marx404

Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:58:25 pm

Using Zorin 8, on ASUS mobo with Rosewell internal port adaptor (usb, sd, etc, all in one). Everything is working great, but...
Did following steps, bluetooth is able to connect and headphones work, but have to fiddle around with settings every time I want to use my BT headphones. (Jam Transit Bluetooth headphones)

Selected Iogear adaptor from Ubuntu Hardware Support list.
Plugged in usb adaptor.
Installed Blueman. Ran detection
Went to Bluetooth in Settings and detected headset, ok.
Device does not show up in Sound.

Searched through various Ubuntu forum help sections, finally found that running the command :

pulseaudio -k

Then my BT headset appears in the BT devices list and the Sound as expected, BUT headset shows up as mono device when I click Test and no sound.
I dunno what does it, but randomly toggling between built-in audio devices then back to my Jam Transit BT headset then actuates my headset and violla! full stereo and it works! .....until I shut my PC down and have to type pulseaudio -k again and toggle around the sound devices once more.

Obviously Im doing something wrong, why wont Zorin keep my settings and properly recognize my headphone?

Thanks,
marx404

Swarfendor437

Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:09:17 pm

Hi, Just be advised that Zorin 8 reached end-of-life earlier this month like Ubuntu 13.10 it was based on - please give Zorin 9 a try in live mode and see if there are any improvements! ;)

marx404

Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:24:24 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, Just be advised that Zorin 8 reached end-of-life earlier this month like Ubuntu 13.10 it was based on - please give Zorin 9 a try in live mode and see if there are any improvements! ;)

I certainly will be doing that later on, thanks. Until then, I wanted to get this working on my current setup. Likewise, if I can resolve this in Zorin 8 and the problem still exists in 9, problem solved.

I have read and tried many solutions from the Ubuntu help forum, noting sticks when I reboot yet though.

Swarfendor437

Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:37:24 pm

Hi, just had another look but cannot find anything - have you installed all Pulse Audio packages including Paman? Please take a read of the sound section of Wolfman's excellent Post Install Gukide here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2054

Can't guarantee your issue will be resolved but worth a look! ;)

marx404

Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:31:59 pm

Hi, I have not had time to update to Zorin 9, but did find this out about 8. Lots of issues with BT stereo headsets. I tried every which way, followed every suggested instruction, to no avail. But there is a light at the end of this tunnel! As I have had great success with Logitech stuff and Ubuntu distros, I found Logitech h600 and h800 wireless headsets work almost out of the box. Yaay. Everything works great now!

The trick is to download the Pairing utility from Logitech's site and set up the headset on any windows machine. Then plug and play on Zorin.
I also learned that Logitech headsets are not compatible with the unity pairing USB plug or app. So you need to use the USB plug that came with the headset.
Once I get around to updating to ZOrin 9, I plan on keeping this setup.