This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Clock on Taskbar

dmcgow

Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:55:56 pm

Hello,
I am new to Zorin, (Switched from Windows XP) and I totally love this OS! Thank You to the developers! I removed the thunderbird email client and wanted the applet with the envelope removed from my taskbar. I went online and ran a command line in terminal that lots of people said would work and it removed the envelope but also removed the clock, calendar, and name from the lower right hand corner. Can anyone help me restore my taskbar to the Zorin default?

Thanks for your help!

Linx

Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:26:51 pm

Do you have the command that you ran in terminal? Might make it a bit easier to find the fix.

you may be able to right click on the bottom right had corner, and then go into preferences and add the clock (not at home so I can't tell you exactly what to click, will update later)

dmcgow

Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:41:01 pm

I ran this:
sudo apt-get remove indicator-messages and
killall unity-panel-service

Thanks!

dmcgow

Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:12:56 pm

I ran Killall unity-panel-service because it is all over the internet that this would fix it but it didn't. When I ran sudo apt-get remove indicator-messages it got rid of everything on the lower right side of the taskbar. I tried to right click the taskbar and add the clock and it didn't work.

Swarfendor437

Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:03:46 pm

Hi, right-clcik on the panel and select 'preferences' - go to the 'Applets' tab and see if you can see a white 'i' in a blue circle on the 'clone panel' at the bottom of the Applets tab - if not there, look for 'indicator3 applet' and drag it to the 'clone panel' at the bottom! :D

Keep us posted! :D

dmcgow

Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:33:31 am

Hi,
I have done this and it does not work.

Swarfendor437

Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:39:58 pm

OK, try this:

Boot into 'recovery mode' from the second item in GRUB - safe graphics mode - the next second menu option after selecting the second menu option of GRUB. Make sure that you are connected to the internet, preferablby via ethernet, and run DPKG - but don't resume after completion - do a reboot.

Keep us posted!

dmcgow

Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:50:48 pm

Thanks Swarfendor437,
I am at work so I will do it when I get home tonight. One other piece of the puzzle if it helps is I learned last night the clock, name, volume, network button only disappeared in Windows 7 or Windows XP look. If I use the Gnome look it is all there. I really appreciate the help!

Swarfendor437

Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:01:54 pm

Hi, that is because Gnome does not use Avant Window Navigator but the Gnome Panel. ;)

dmcgow

Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:48:37 am

Ok,
That didn't work either, I am learning a lot through this though. I actually like the Gnome desktop!

Swarfendor437

Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:24:27 am

OK, short of a reinstallation I can't think of anything else! Over to the other Moderators! :D

Linx

Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:07:57 pm

I would start by reinstalling everything that has been removed, then reboot (to restart all the related processes).
This can be done via copy and paste.
Code:
sudo apt-get install -y  indicator-messages; sudo shutdown -r 00

The major downside being, you should be right back where you started. But then maybe we can work on just removing just the envelope and not everything.

Swarfendor437

Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:03:41 pm

Hi, See my new how to:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7983

dmcgow

Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:36:59 pm

Thanks Links! That fixed it! Swarfendor437 I will check that out and thanks for your time!

Linx

Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:51:04 pm

YAY!

sorry for the delay to get back to you, just been busy. Glad I could help. :D