This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

VPN connection to provider

smt71

Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:53:51 pm

Hello. I'am new linux (Zorin OS 9) user and I have a question, how to connect VPN?

a) From MS Win settings I have: 1.Server IP 2.Client IP 3.Login 4.Password. So in which fields I have to write them?
Also, when I'am writing digits in fields "Save" button is inactive! So it's difficcult to experiment with them.
Ethernet.jpg

b) I downloaded VPNPPTP program it doesn't work too.
vpn1.jpg

vpn2.jpg

c) I tried to install via command prompt, no effect.
vpn3.jpg

If You know, please, tell me which fields and what I have to write?

P.s. It'll be better without external links, my english (the more technical) is not whell. Thanks.

Swarfendor437

Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:10:49 pm

smt71

Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:54:59 pm

Actualy, no. Software Manager shows that 'network-manager-openvpn' is not installed and '/etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/' folder is empty, I don't know how install it. But it shows installed programs: network-manager, network-manager-pptp, network-manager-pptp-gnome. I have to read books? :)

Swarfendor437

Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:15:23 pm

Is this any better?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation ... C_qpEUweIw

Sorry I don't do VPN hence my pointers to elsewhere! :)

Linx

Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:35:45 pm

Do you know whic VPN service you need to use?

Cisco, Citrix, Openvpn, or something like that.
The only one I have used on Linux is the Openvpn which is pretty simple to install and use.

Code:
sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get install openvpn -y

then you will need to change to the directory with your config file (depending on your config, if it is relative or absolute, most are relative that I have seen )
Code:
cd /location/of/config/for/openvpn/; sudo openvpn configfile.conf

and that should start the VPN (assuming it is openvpn). I would also putting this in a screen and sending to backgroud as I don't think you need all your datas =]. This can be done by making a small change.
Code:
cd /location/of/config/for/openvpn/; screen -S openvpn; sudo openvpn configfile.conf
Then you will need to press [ctrl]+[a]+[d]. and it will put it in backgroud for you.

Hope this helps.

smt71

Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58:26 pm

Temporarily solved by configuring the router TP Link. Thanks for instructions.

anuja

Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:36:08 pm

Also you can easily configure VPN SSH on your Linux. Try this http://www.vpnfaqs.com/2015/02/configure-ssh-linux/ it is easily, more secure and ensure anonymity and encryption while surfing the web. Recommended by my friends.