This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Screen Flicker when cursor over menu bar. Zorin 9 32bit

chris360

Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:48:36 pm

I'm new user to Linux and downloaded zorin 9 32bit on my laptop and all was fine. I then used the same DVD to do the same on my old family pc. a dell dimension 5150.

when the OS was installing it failed a bit at the end, and it had to be shut-down, it started up fine. I did this twice and the same thing happened. (I cant rememberer what it said sorry)

Now every time I put my cursor over the open applications on menu line at the bottom, up to a 1/3 of the top of the screen flashes/ flickers. if the cursor is kept over the application, say the software centre it will keep on flashing.

I have tried multiple times the advice on this thread that everyone recommends.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

and nothing has changed.

Please help. I have spent far to long on this problem. :(

Swarfendor437

Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:14:55 am

Hi, it sounds like a graphics issue to me - just for clarity is this in respect of the Dell 5150? Is this a desktop or a notebook? Does it have separate Graphics card if Desktop or is it on-board? What is the graphics chipset - ATi (AMD) or nVidia?

Wolfman

Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:20:02 pm

Hi,

start your PC in recovery mode and run "DPKG" per this guide: (the same link as you posted above!)

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

chris360

Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:32:55 pm

I get the error message:

ModemManager [104488] : <warn> Could not grab port (tty/ttS5): 'Cannt add port 'tty/ttys5' ,unhadled serial type'

After : "network enable networking" was selected

Swarfendor437: its a desktop, the other information i will try and fined out.

Thanks for replying so quickly :D

Swarfendor437

Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:04:50 pm

Hi, sounds like you may need PPPoE if you are using a modem? dial up?