This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Won't boot

BubbaBlues

Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:43:22 am

The Zorin 9 iso won't even boot for me. I get nothing but a black screen when I try to boot from the dvd. Just wondered if anyone else
had that problem.

Swarfendor437

Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:23:30 am

Hi BubbaBlues, can you tell us:

1. How you downloaded - browser - and did you use an accelerator?

2. You checked the md5sum after download?

3. Your optical drive has been cleaned with one of these in it's lifetime? http://www.allsop.com/cleaning-/dvd-carbon-edge-pro-/ - I only mention this as this was the problem with a member many years ago with Zorin 5!

4. How you burned the disc - what OS and which burner

5. Brand of DVD

Wolfman

Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:17:55 pm

Hi,

did you burn the ISO at the slowest possible speed?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

Did you try pressing the "Tab/Esc/Spacebar" key and after selecting your language, press F6 and select "nomodeset" once you see the main Zorin menu?. (Press "Enter" when done)

Swarfendor437

Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:19:36 pm

Hi Wolfman, don't know if 'Tab' still works - on my rig it is hit the Escape key on seeing first blue screen then F6 and select 'acpi=off' ;)

Wolfman

Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:22:24 pm

Hi Swarf,

I don't know about that, as I haven't tried it on Zorin 9!. I will boot the live CD and take a looksee!.

Swarfendor437

Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:26:13 pm

Hi Wolfman, take a look at my dual-boot guide here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7981

:D

My vid will never see the light of day! :cry:

Wolfman

Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:32:36 pm

Hi Swarf,

I have since edited my other post as you stated, the old method doesn't work anymore!. Thanks for the link. :D

Linx

Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:21:33 pm

Are you getting the splash screen at all, you may need to get into the advanced boot options to get it to boot.

I would suggest you check the md5 first, and if the md5 sum is correct then when the blue splash screen FIRST comes up (it doesn't hurt to tap the F6 key before the splash screen comes up either) , press a F6 key on the keyboard. then a language screen should come up, choose your language, then press the F6 key again, and select "nomodetest" or "nomodeset" press the [esc] key to get out of the menu and try booting from live. If this still doesn't work, try using the "acpi=no" or "acpi=off" options.

Hope this helps.

BubbaBlues

Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:00:46 am

Thanks for all the replies. It isn't the burn speed or dirty burner or any of that. I'm pretty sure it's the nomodeset thing as I've had to do that on several different distros lately. ( I like to keep four os on my machine and Zorin has always been my go-to system) I just couldn't figure out how to change to nomodeset from the first blue screen. Thanks for the input and I shall try it again this weekend.

Swarfendor437

Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:36:20 am

Hi BubbaBlues - it is F6 - choose nomodeset from the list that appears - you need to press the spacebar as soon as you see the blue screen with the keyboard=Accessibility logo! :D