This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Download server selection for updates ?

Henriolavi

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:15:55 am

Hi

I have looked the information in the forum related to select the server for updates and without exception it is recommended to select the "Main server" for updates source. However there is not any reasoning why to select that. I made a new installation of Zorin 9 Core due to the earlier crashed totally. By default the setting for updates was set to local server, in my case "Server for Finland" and I used it. Updates succeeded without any problems there. I however changed the server setting to "Main server" and checked whether that gives some new content to update but it say that software are up to date. I believe that the local server can in many cases work even better than the Main server selection. I also saw that the downloads comes from the local server even if the selection is "Main server". So finally to my question. What is the best selection either "Main server" or by default selected local server if it works without problems?

Swarfendor437

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:20:45 am

That is a tough one because it depends on how reliable local servers can be - I have had issues with some 'local' servers in UK before. In early days of Zorin it was set to a US one and caused the 86Kb invisible package anomaly!

I just prefer to stick to Main Server period.

At the end of the day if it works, fine, if you have a preference, fine - you decide! :D