This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] How to Install Ruby Ripper on Zorin 9 ?

Maerskian

Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:24:42 pm

Wanted to install Ruby Ripper and found it should be easy on Ubuntu 14.04 so just copy-pasted these lines :

Code:
$ wget -q -O - http://archive.getdeb.net/getdeb-archive.key | sudo apt-key add -

$ sudo sh -c 'echo "deb http://archive.getdeb.net/ubuntu trusty-getdeb games" >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/getdeb.list'

$ sudo apt-get update

$ sudo apt-get install rubyripper

But it doesn't work :/ ...

Any clue about why ?

Maerskian

Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:12:31 pm

On the meanwhile ...

Installed Asunder cd ripper , but can't rip cds to mp3 because lame codec is missing ...

After some issues with Zorin i'd rather avoid doing anything wrong by following Ubuntu's how-to's ... so ... could anybody please let me know how to get it done ?

Thanks a lot !

Swarfendor437

Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:29:48 pm

Hi,

1. Install Gdebi Package Manager - open a terminal (Menu | Accessories | Terminal) and enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get install gdebi
(you will be asked for your login password - there is nothing ever shown in the terminal so be careful - you get 3 attempts before you are back as a normal user in the terminal!

2. Visit this page:

http://linuxappfinder.com/package/rubyripper

Go to the 'Get Deb' section - look at Trusty (that is the Ubuntu version Zorin 9 is built on) - if you have 32-bit Zorin you need the 32-bit .deb package - 64-bit Zorin - 64-bit package.

After downloading, right-click the ruby-ripper.deb package and select 'Open with ...' and choose 'Gdebi' - it will do a summary check that you have all the necessary dependencies - once satisfied, the greyed 'install' button will show - click on it and you will be asked for your password once more - then just watch it install! :D

Maerskian

Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:46:18 pm

Yes sir !

It worked out smoothly and now is finally installed. Thanks-a-gazillion for you gigantic job here !!!

Just before marking this thread as solved:

Any idea on how to add the "lame" codec ? Don't dare to copy-paste Ubuntu command lines ... because i thought privative mp3 codecs were already included with Zorin so think it's weird that Asunder CD ripper won't find it ... maybe it's on a different location ?

Cheers & enjoy your weekend ;-)

david7307

Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:46:38 pm

I think you go to synaptic
menu system tools administration synaptic and load it from there

Maerskian

Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:56:57 pm

david7307 wrote:I think you go to synaptic
menu system tools administration synaptic and load it from there

It worked :D

Thanks a lot for your help, and sorry for this noobish questions :?

Thread can be finally marked as solved, thanks again :D

david7307

Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:33:00 pm

nothing noobish about the question
we all have had to ask and i think we all still ask, i know i do
glad to have been able to help