This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Installing Klogic

whiterabbit391

Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:33:40 pm

New to linux and I'm doing everything I can to educate myself
so that I don't have to ask you every little question.

But for the life of me I can not figure out how to install
Klogic.

It comes as " klogic-1.62.tar.gz "

The only packages I have been able to install correctly was the View Your Mind program.

But that was a .deb, and they seem to install pretty easy through the package manager,

But I also understand that the .tar.gz is the more common format ,
And I want to learn how to install them.

The installation readme that came with Klogic, had some installation instructions I didn't understand.
about configuring the file.

any help?

_____Also, I found the problem of not being able to view my cpu temp,
Because sudo apt-get install lm-sensors didnt work

it turns out my motherboard doesn't have a CPU thermocouple at all. So. Thanks for the help.

Please help me install Klogic on Zorin PLEASE!!

Swarfendor437

Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:24:08 am

The painful way:

http://ubuntuguide.net/how-to-uncompres ... -in-ubuntu

The 'easy' way:

1. Install 'gdebi' - open a terminal (Ctrl+ Alt+ T) and enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get install gdebi
- you will be asked for your login password to elevate you to 'root' (Administrator)

2. Still in the terminal after installing gdebi:

Code:
sudo apt-get install alien

3. Still in teh terminal, navigate to where your downloaded 'tar.gz' file is, e.g., Downloads (default if you have not changed this appears to be 'Documents' - for the purpose of this example, going to use Downloads as the location)

Code:
cd .. Downloads

Code:
sudo alien klogic-1.62.tar.gz

This will create a separate '.deb' package - after yoiu get back to 'username$' - type 'exit' to quit the terminal.

Go to the location of your tar.gz package you should now see 'klogic-1.62.tar.gz.deb' package - ignore the red circle and white cross on it.

Now right-click the newly created '.deb' package and select 'Open with ...' and use 'Gdebi' :D

Be careful with any tarballed pakages that you download in case it harbours malicious script see my post here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6076&p=28820&hilit=Blackwolf+ubundows8#p28820

:D