This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

encrypt home folder on installation

todaz

Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:52:16 pm

Hi,
I use Zorin 8.1 and have home folder encrypted.
I installed 9.1 md5ckecksum ok. and can not encrypt home folder. The new installation gets to "creating user" and stays there for ever.
I have tried several times and copied to 3 disks.
Also added swap partition of 2 gig. Still no difference.
In the end I had to install without encrypting home folder. That works - except I would like the security of encrypted home folder for the next few years until 2019.

Would appreciate any help in this.
Thanks.

Swarfendor437

Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:58:29 am

Hi and Welcome! :D

Does this help?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2215496

todaz

Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:38:55 am

That leads me to these instructions
http://blog.dustinkirkland.com/2009/06/ ... ctory.html
which is too long and involved.

I recopied the iso onto a disk at 4 speed using braseo. I read Zorin recommends to use imgburn at 2.5 speed.
Have tried to install again on different partitions and same result. It wont encrypt the home folder and stops at "creating user" and won't finish installing.
If I unckheck "encrypt home folder" it works fine and installs ok.

Also have problem using the program x-tile on 9.1. It works fine on 8.1 but have to run as admistrator in 9.1. Using Gnome 2 with cairo dock on left hand side as my preferred setup.
This does not allow me to run as administrator, by right clicking.--no right clicking in gnome2 . It wont run from cairo dock or from the shortcut on desktop.

The only way i can run it is through the terminal using the command sudo x-tile or using Zorin look changer and windows7 or xp and right clicking to run as administrator.

On 8.1 I have it on cairo dock and just click it and it runs ok.

Swarfendor437

Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:50:48 am

Hi, see if you fair any better by installing Gnome:

Code:
sudo apt-get install gnome

I now have this in addition to Cairo-Dock as a DE option at login time.

I posted that last link thinking you needed to access your encrypted stuff from 8.1 - couldn't find any other solution - are you asking for encryption after install? I never recommend encryption at point of install as it can create install issues! ;)