This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin OS 9 Core Slow internet Help Please!

Mordenkeinen

Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:32:11 pm

I have Zorin OS 9 and am having problems with slow internet
Downloads, everything on the net is slower than windows.
I am a new user to linux and this is my first Distrobution.
I am loving it btw except the internet being slower.
I have 90 mb internet service for starters and 10 upload so it should be lightning fast.
I have a Phenom II x3 processor not sure on speed
nvidia 550 ti graphics card 1 gb
8 gb ddr3 ram
I know these aren't exact specs just listing it to show that my hardware should be sufficient.
Also to note I have updated my graphics card drivers in Zorin OS 9 Core to proprietary and tested Nvidia driver
Please let me know what additional information you need to help me in this mattere.
I would like to get this resolved quickly if possible where I can continue to experiment with my new and highly loved linux distro :)
Also to note and this has nothing to do with the issue but the reason I am testing linux on this computer is because I am in the process of building and entirely new computer and I am basically done with windows. I'm tired of having to constantly watch my back for viruses. Scared to use my own internet browser and feel even on a clean install of windows I don't feel safe entering my credit card info over my windows internet. I know no OS is perfect or impervious to viruses but I've been doing a lot of reading and it just seems linux is way more secure and safe. The only downfall I can find so far is I can't get one of my favorite Windows games to run on Linux which is League of Legends. I have looked everywhere for a solution and even tried play on linux but it didn't work properly just crashed after I tried to run it the first time. Minecraft however worked flawelessly after fixing the graphics drivers and getting the proprietary drivers for my system. Sorry for all the uneeded information I'm just excited :) thanks to all who respond.

madvinegar

Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:23:19 am

Could you please open terminal (ctrl+alt+T), run the following command and post back here the output?

lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net

Mordenkeinen

Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:03:41 pm

ok may do that but reading what you post and realizing why you posted it gave me an idea. I'm on wired btw not wireless but it appears the reason you posted this is because my machine may be running on generic network drivers. Let me try to find drivers for my system and ultimately figure out how to install them and then I'll get back to you with that info if after that I am still having problems. thanks.

Mordenkeinen

Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:39:24 pm

I am not going to post the entire thing but I'm sure this is the pertinant information you need. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller [10ec:8168] (rev 09) I'm not sure what's safe to post and what is not. I also see that the command got my board wrong. It's saying I'm running an Intel board and this is not. It's an Amd board lol. Neways hope you can help me with that information. If you need anything else please let me know. Sincerly, Linux noob!

Linx

Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:35:52 pm

would like to see the stats for the interface as well.

Code:
ethtool eth0

I would like to see the section listed as "Supported link modes", "Advertised link modes", and need to see "Speed" and "Duplex" information.

Also, there is no data in lspci that can be used to identify you. It will only show the HW specs and the drivers used for the hardware. =)

Let me know if this helps.

Mordenkeinen

Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:59:21 am

Settings for eth0:
Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full
Supported pause frame use: No
Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
Advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Link partner advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
Link partner advertised pause frame use: Symmetric
Link partner advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Speed: 100Mb/s
Duplex: Full
Port: MII
PHYAD: 0
Transceiver: internal
Auto-negotiation: on
Cannot get wake-on-lan settings: Operation not permitted
Current message level: 0x00000033 (51)
drv probe ifdown ifup
Link detected: yes

Mordenkeinen

Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:03:27 am

also been doing some research and I have found that slower browsing might be caused by the new ipv6 protocols included with this distrobution. If that is part of my problem how do I shut it off and what are the potential reprocussions of shutting it off?

Linx

Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:21:35 pm

In most cases, IPV6 is actually faster than IPv4,

To disable it, take a look at the answer to this.
http://askubuntu.com/questions/346126/h ... -on-ubuntu
(Zorin is much like Ubuntu and most of the guides work on either)

What kinda speedtest results are you getting?
you can test at any of these
http://speedtest.net
http://speakeasy.net
http://speedof.me

It can also depend on the webpages your loading, Firefox tends to a a little slower when alot of javascript is present, it may be worth installing Chrome.
It is also possible that your ISP is doing something nasty with your internet, (commonly call traffic shaping)
try getting the addon(for firefox) "User Agent Overrider" and select "Windows / Firefox 29" and see if it feels different.

Let us know what happens!

Mordenkeinen

Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:38:58 am

Well everything is slow. Game updates, download etc. I'm getting about 1/3 of the speed in zorin os 9 that I am getting in windows 7 partition of my hard drive and even the windows 7 isn't giving me my full speed that I'm supposed to be getting. The tech blamed it on my hardware and I think he's a moron. I'm going to call them if this keeps up but I would at least like to get the same speed on zorin os that I'm getting in windows 7. I get about 60-90 down and about 12 up even though I pay for 10 in windows 7 and I get anywhere form 12 to 20 down and 5-10 up on zorin os 9 core. These results are from speedtest.net and also from Brighthouse speedtest which is supposed to be better for testing their equipment. Same results on both. I also tried resetting my router to no avail.

Mordenkeinen

Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:40:06 am

Oh one last thing. I also installed the addon noscript, adblock plus to my firefox and that didn't seem to speed it up much even without all the extra javascript and videos running on the pages.

Linx

Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:43:10 pm

Just trying to narrow down the issue here.

Can you transfer a file from one computer to this computer, once in ZorinOS and once in Windows, and see if the speeds are very different.
Are you dual booting, or are are the results from different computers? (I have been operating under the assumption you are dual booting for testing)
Are you using firefox for testing in both?
Did you try switching the useragent?
Have you tried using a Proxy for the test? (although this will likely be useless as most proxys are slow as dirt)

I would also make sure the flash and firefox on the computer is as up to date as possible.
Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade -y

And get some more test after this has been complete. =]

Hope this helps!

Mordenkeinen

Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:58:29 pm

ok will try the update and upgrade things. Yes I am dual booting. No was trying google chrome in win 7 and firefox in zorin. Maybe I will try firefox in win 7 and see if that helps. switching useragent? don't know what that means. Don't know anything about proxys. I know they help me browse more safely by hiding my computer behind a proxy but other than that I don't know anything about configuring them. I know I was searching extentions in firefox yesterday and found an extention that was a proxy but not sure if I want to use that. Last thing what is the -y flag beside sudo apt-get upgrade? I can google it but I really hate googling stuff I just dong feel safe even though I practice safe browsing practices by checking links that I"m unfamiliar with using virus total. Sure that doesn't protect me from zero day viruses but it makes me feel safer :)

Linx

Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:38:43 am

So sorry for the delay.

Using firefox try getting the addon "Useragent Overrider".
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... overrider/

Click the drop down, and then select "Windows / Firefox 29", and run another test.

The user agent is some information that some providers use to set packet priorities, it may make a difference.