This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin 9 Installation Freezes

Maerskian

Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:50:53 pm

Hi again

Right now i'm trying to install Zorin 9 on my third computer ( out of 4 ) . Sucessfully installed it on two older computers ( a 2004 AMD Athlon 64 & a 2006 laptop with Intel dual core ) with no problems during the installation, but this 3rd one is giving me quite the headache .

It's a 2006 AMD Athlon 64 .... with ( sigh! ) ... yeah, an integrated Nvdidia graphic card ( yikes! ) .
Already tried to install Zorin 9 on this computer more than a dozen times :

- double cheching MD5 for the iso file
- burned it on dvd ( lowest possible speed ) & 3 different usb sticks ( usb that worked fine on the other 2 computers )
- Installed it in english language ( not my native tongue ) in order to avoid any issue ( according to what i've read around so far )
but the installation always freezes at some point ... or being more specific... the screen kinda-pixilate(?!?) then freezes the installation process. I managed to set up the time-zone/keyboard/user-password-etc.... then starts copying files for a while then ... kaboom !

I'm sure there must be a way around this, or i'd swear there's even something on the forum already but can't find it right now :roll: . I deeply apologize if this is some regular issue everybody is bored to death to see around .

Truth be told, this computer is kinda particular, tried LXLE , Elementary , OpenSuse, Debian.... and tons of other distros/forks/etc ... and for the time being, Debian-based distros are the ones getting the most out this hardware ( running RoboLinux right now ) ... but, i desperately want Zorin !!! :D , it runs really fast on a 2 years older AMD Athlon computer with half the ram plus i can add all my favorite software ( can't do so with RoboLinux ) .

Any hint about where should i start ?

Thanks a ton in advance ;-)

Linx

Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:05:28 pm

Have you tried running off of the live disk? Does the computer run as expected with a Live disk, or does it freeze at some point just while loading the live disk as well?

I had something exactly like this happen to me recently... it turns out it was an issue with the already installed system. I had to format the existing HDD, and format the USB I was installing from.

Turns out there were some kinda package conflicts or something and not formatting the drives will allow the systems to somehow merge or something like that, I don't know all the exact details, but that was my understanding of it.

Hope this helps!

Maerskian

Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:19:39 pm

Thanks for your message ;-)

Yes, tried the live version from an USB stick first and .... worked fine the first time ... until it froze at a given moment. From then on, never was able to run the live version from that USB drive again.

And yes, absolutely, i always format all usb sticks before creating a live/iso-linux version, also format everything/ create new paritions on each new installation as well ... :(

Linx

Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:42:11 pm

SO your not able to boot the live disk anymore either ?

That would be super odd. possible issue with the USB maybe, have you tried getting another USB and trying it?

Maerskian

Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:34:20 pm

Linx wrote:SO your not able to boot the live disk anymore either ?

That would be super odd. possible issue with the USB maybe, have you tried getting another USB and trying it?

Hi again :)

Is it just me or the forum was almost-dead yesterday ? >__>

Resuming ...

Yes, that's correct. That live disk doesn't work anymore .... although it just happens on this computer .

Just borrowed three different usb-sticks, will be making brand new live disks within few minutes. Will keep you updated ;-)

On the meanwhile, enjoy your weekend :D