This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

dropbox stopped working

Anonymous

Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:29:08 pm

Dropbox stopped sending pics from my wife's phone to my computer.
When I looked in synaptic it said dropbox was not installed. In Ubuntu repository it said it was installed.
I know nothing of these things and as usual have spent hours reading suggestions, all different of how to solve this problem which seems to occur all the time. Synaptic has now frozen whilst I was trying yet again to reload dropbox. I rebooted and still it is supposedly downloading and installing dropbox. Again I have spent hours reading and typing into the terminal. The process is running permanently and I can not get into synaptic and I do not know and can not find our how to stop it via the terminal. If any one is able to assist I would be very grateful. Remember
I know nothing. When it says restart nautilus and then restart dropbox I have no idea without spending hours on the web and even then I have failed to find out how to do either.

Swarfendor437

Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:37:11 pm

Hi, to kill a program, go to Menu | System Tools | System Monitor - click on processes tab and scroll down to dropbox - right-click and select 'kill'. (Nautilus = Windows Explorer). To remove your current dropbox installation, open a terminal (Menu | Accessories | Terminal) and enter:

Code:
sudo purge dropbox

To reinstall I would be tempted to go to the official dropbox website and download the Linux package from there. Any problems, please post back - I am currently on holiday in Mallorca and a very intermittent connection!

SteveD

Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:10:02 am

Maybe check first that the pics are actually uploaded to Dropbox. It could be a problem on the phone :)

Anonymous

Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:16:03 am

SteveD , Its not the phone. I still have xp on dual boot and they are coming through fine there.

Anonymous

Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:25:16 am

Swarfendor I hope you had a good holiday sorry to disturb.
I can see nothing in system monitor that is running that should not be, Something called pulse audio has a very high priority whatever pulse audio is and whatever high priority is I have no idea. Can't do any upgrades as' error unable to get exclusive lock'. When I start up I get password to use dropbox as super user required. Should I throw out Ubuntu software center and reload or will it return with the same errors. Thousands of people have had this problem of the Ubuntu software center freezing up. I have read and read and tried all sorts of things but just go round and round in circles. What seems to solve it for one person does not solve it for another. In nearly all cases it was caused by software center hanging and user trying to stop it. For some just rebooting has fixed it.

Anonymous

Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:12:16 am

This morning I am getting Nautilus must be restarted for dropbox to run. Click the restart but nothing happens. Also all my desktop icons are now dissappearing on an irregular basis. If I reboot sometimes they are there again sometimes not. The whole thing is a nightmare. I am having to return to windows more and more to get anything done.

Anonymous

Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:03:39 am

I tried the purge dropbox and get sudo purge command not found

Swarfendor437

Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:11:52 am

:oops: too much R&R!

Code:
sudo apt-get purge dropbox