This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Windows XP won't boot after partitioned install of Zorin

GreenBear

Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:01:02 pm

I selected the partition option when installing Zorin 9 Core, because I still need to use my MS Office and Adobe CS software for work. There didn't seem to be any problems during the install and when I turn on my computer Windows XP appears as a boot option along with Zorin. Additionally, XP and all of the MS Office and Adobe CS software files are listed as being on my hard drive.

The problem is that when I select boot Windows XP it begins to load and then abruptly stops and reverts back to the boot option screen.

Any suggestions as to why Zorin loads from the boot screen and Windoes XP won't?

Henriolavi

Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:21:28 am

Hi

It is obvious that the installed Grub boot loader fails to boot Windows XP for some reason. You can try to repair the Grub using this linked method(s).
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4635

However the conventional Dual Boot always includes risk that after installation or sometimes later Windows does not boot any more from the Grub boot loader. I have lost two times Windows installation due to that, so I don't use such installation any more where Windows starts (only) from Grub. There are more secure non conventional methods. One of those, so called Matthew Moore style dual boot installation is described in this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlTgaWs9BD0

I use a separate 32 Gb USB 3.0 drive for Linux with my Windows machine to be sure that I can boot always Windows from Bios using its own boot loader and Linux from usb drive having Grub boot loader installed there. It works same way as Matthew Moore's installation but the boot selection is made in Bios.

GreenBear

Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:18:58 pm

Thank you. I'll try your suggestions.

This seemed to work. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

Linx

Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:59:01 pm

It is also possible that you may have been able to put in the boot CD and ran the "fixmbr" to recover windows XP, I think think it works with Vista or 7.

GreenBear

Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:38:37 am

Thank you.