This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Prevent automatic resizing when moving a window

Totolanio

Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:51:45 am

Hi,

When you move a window of any kind near a border of your screen, it automatically becomes full size which is pretty annoying (especially with gimp, it happens all the time).
If you know how to stop this from happening, I'll be very glad !

Henriolavi

Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:00:42 pm

Hi

I tried to find from Compiz the place where this can be changed. I tried "Resize windows" in the "Windows management". There is ticked on "Maximize vertically if screen edge hit" but it did not change even if I ticked it off. (Don't know whether I used it correctly). The first aid here is that the maximizing gives a "warning" launching a transparent blue window to the screen if mouse button is kept down when moving the window. Draging the window little down before removing the mouse button the blue screen disappears and the window would not maximize. Here some screenshots of that behavior. That applies also to Gimb windows.

at the border.jpg

near border.jpg

Hope that someone can tell where it can be changed in the Compiz entirely.

Edit:
Unfortunately that command "Maximize vertically if screen edge hit" was not at all the right one to solve this problem. It maximizes the window from bottom to top on the screen and horizontally to half of the screen. Did not find any solution there yet.

Totolanio

Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:50:12 pm

Yes, I already searched in compiz but thank you for confirming this ! (i forgot ^^)

And yes I see the warning but it still happens a lot of time that my window get resized (even with this warning I can clearly see).
So i'd prefer to disable this.

Thank you for your help though.

Swarfendor437

Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:57:33 pm

Hi, I suspect you may need to do one or both of the following:

1. Install dconf-editor - open a terminal (Menu | Accessories | Terminal) and enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get install dconf-tools

This will add 'dConf Editor' in Menu | System Tools | Preferences

2. Downgrade Compiz - there was a recent post about not being able to get the fire effect working - this may resolve I don't know if it is a Compiz version change or something else.

I suspect dConf Editor might be the way forward - you need to left click the 'triangles/arrow heads' to the left of each heading in the left pane to expand (equals '+' similar to regedit in Windows) - you need to find desktop settings. Hope this helps - not on Zorin sadly - having to use Win7 Starter whilst on hols. :D

Totolanio

Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:26:05 pm

I don't understand what I have to do with dconf sorry :x

Swarfendor437

Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:05:08 pm

Give it a day or so - back home tomorrow!

Totolanio

Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:55:24 am

Up :p

Swarfendor437

Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:21:08 am

OK, in dconf-editor try this - have NOT tried this myself:

In left pane the route is: org | gnome | desktop | wm | preferences

Spotted a setting 'auto-raise' - see if disabling that solves the issue:

53.jpg

Totolanio

Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:34:45 am

No I just tried it :cry:

Swarfendor437

Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:41:46 am

Just for clarity, is this the 'shap' to border issue? :D

Totolanio

Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:55:56 pm

Really sorry but I can't find any translation for "shap". (Can't take screenshots because i'm on windows today)

But it's when you move a window near the borders and then there is a blue warning expanding from the current window to the borders (meaning it will turn into FULL SCREEN window). If you release the mouse clic, it will maximize the window to the borders of the screens.
And as Henriolavi said, if you keep the window clicked and drag the window down, it won't maximize to full screen.

Swarfendor437

Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:21:38 pm

Found it! Turn off 'Grid' in CompizConfig Settings Manager! ;)

https://www.quora.com/Ubuntu/How-can-I- ... ng-feature

Totolanio

Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:42:02 am

Omg thank you !
I really looked hard into compiz settings but I would never think "grid" would be related to that problem !
I'll edit to solved