This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Upgrade Failed Miserably

jereece

Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:06:15 pm

I was running Zorin 8 and it prompted me that there was a LTS upgrade to 14.04 available so I clicked to install the upgrade. Everything installed with no problems. At the end it forced a reboot. When it rebooted, I see the Zorin initialization screen then the screen goes blank. I let it sit for 10 minutes hoping it was just some final installation routine that had to run. I have rebooted 3 times and it does the same thing. I wind up with a blank (black) screen. Now I wish I had never done the upgrade but I am mad that LTS 14.04 is faulty. Any suggestions short of a total re-install?

SteveD

Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:59:19 pm

It looks like you have tried to upgrade Zorin 8 to Ubuntu 14.04. The new version of Zorin is Zorin 9 (which is based on 14.04)

I don't know if there is anyway to rescue this but I suspect a clean install is the way to go.

SplatOz

Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:13:00 pm

Swarfendor437's Unofficial Guide to ZorinOS
http://www.zoringroup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7646

Page 63:
"Make sure in this section that 'Notify me of a new Ubuntu version:
is set to 'Never' as in the screenshot above, or your Zorin install
will become a broken one!"

Unfortunately, it looks like you may have gotten bit. It would be nice if this option were permanently grayed out.

jereece

Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:10:16 am

Thanks for the info everyone. Yes I knew Zorin was based on Ubuntu so when I saw the upgrade to 14.04 I thought that was the proper path for upgrading. Oh well...lesson learned. I downloaded Zorin 9 and did a fresh install. Only pain is I lost some files, but nothing I can't do without. I'm back up and running now. Just have to work out the usual bugs. For example, for some reason flash video on some web sites do not want to go full screen in Chrome but will in Firefox. There's a few other tweaks I will need to make but I'll be back to normal soon. Thanks again for the education.

Wolfman

Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:20:47 am

jereece

Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:43:43 pm

So now I know not to do the Ubuntu "upgrade". However a the "updates" safe to install? I get prompted about weekly to install updates.

Swarfendor437

Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:48:00 pm

Hi, so long as you have made sure that 'Check for latest updates to Ubuntu' is set to 'Never' you should just get the updates for Zorin, Kernel, and applications! :D