This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) Nvidia Graphics, how to install for gt 740m?

luchillo17

Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:52:44 pm

Hi, i have the ASUS N46VB, 7,7 GiB RAM, Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz × 8 , Intel® Ivybridge Mobile, 64-bit, 472,1 GB HD.
My laptop has the Nvidia Geforce GT 740M, off-course it works in my Windows partition, in order to work in zorin, in animation ( Blender) i need to be able to use the Nvidia graphics in Blender, if i try to install it it always destroy the UI and i end up re-installing zorin, please anyone has a how to in this subject?

Swarfendor437

Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:36:01 am

Hi and welcome to Zorin! :D

Hi, please take a look at decalman's excellent tutorial in his thread here using the text-based method of installation! :D

viewtopic.php?t=8004

Wolfman

Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:18:22 am

madvinegar

Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:45:44 am

For cases with dual graphics card (like in this case intel+nvidia), in Zorin 9 which includes in the repositories the bumblebee project and the primus project, we do the following:

Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get install bumblebee bumblebee-nvidia primus linux-headers-generic

This installs the bumblebee project with the nvidia-304 driver.

Then we can go to update manager > additional drivers tab and install the recommended proprietary nvidia-331.

In order then to start a program using the nvidia card and not the intel one, you need to run the program as follows:
Code:
optirun name-of-program

i.e. for gimp you run

Code:
optirun gimp

for firefox you run

Code:
optirun firefox

etc etc.

You may even want to create or amend the desktop shortcuts for the programs/games you want to always start with nvidia.
For example, if you need to change firefox to start always with nvidia you run in terminal

Code:
sudo gedit /usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop

and change the "exec" line from
Code:
firefox

to
Code:
optirun firefox

luchillo17

Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:14:40 pm

Ok first, thanks for fast reply, did this in order:

Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get install bumblebee bumblebee-nvidia primus linux-headers-generic
update manager > additional drivers tab

Used the 340.32 driver ( Open source), reboot and try it with Gimp and all good, but with blender i got this error and the /home/carlos/BLENDER/blender-2.71-linux-glibc211-x86_64/blender do exist and is executable even with double click:

Code:
optirun /home/carlos/BLENDER/blender-2.71-linux-glibc211-x86_64/blender
connect failed: No such file or directory
found bundled python: /home/carlos/BLENDER/blender-2.71-linux-glibc211-x86_64/2.71/python

Still it runs, but when i got to the "User preferences" to activate the CUDA support for rendering i got this error:
Code:
modprobe: FATAL: Module nvidia-uvm not found.
CUDA cuInit: Unknown error

Also with Chrome got this one:

Code:
optirun google-chrome-stable
ERROR: ld.so: object 'libdlfaker.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (cannot open shared object file): ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object 'librrfaker.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (cannot open shared object file): ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object 'libdlfaker.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (cannot open shared object file): ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object 'librrfaker.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (cannot open shared object file): ignored.
Gtk-Message: (for origin information, set GTK_DEBUG): failed to retrieve property `ChromeGtkFrame::inactive-frame-color' of type `GdkColor' from rc file value "((GString*) 0x7f411c09b700)" of type `GString'
Se creó una nueva ventana en la sesión existente del navegador.

and terminal does not lock with chrome, just open it naturally, i can close the terminal and chrome don't close with it.

The important one is the error with Blender, how do i fix it?
Thanks again for the fast reply.

Swarfendor437

Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:38:22 pm

Is it 64-bit or 32-bit Zorin? I would be curious to know and see if you have better luck running the opposite -bit version to the one you are currently running! :D

madvinegar

Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:19:15 pm

What happens if you just run

optirun blender

luchillo17

Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:06:47 pm

Hi mine is 64 bit, as for the "Optirun Blender" i get:

Code:
carlos@carlos-N46VB:~$ optirun blender
/usr/bin/vglrun: 241: exec: blender: not found

Blender installation made with a .zip, is like a portable version, extract it and use it like that.

luchillo17

Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:09:33 pm

SOLVED:
Guys thanks for fast reply, i 'Used' to think that the best driver is the one with higher number, but apparently it doesn't, in linux it depends on the kernel, so for my kernel the useful one wasn't nvidia-343 or 340, it was nvidia-331.38 ( the privative one), so i had to purge all versions one by one, set the nouveau driver, reboot, re-install bumblebee and needed files ( or at least ensure that bumblebee was installed) like you guys told me before, set driver to nvidia-331.38 ( the privative one), apt-get update and reboot.

Thanks to everyone that reply, how should i end this post? solved in title with the steps, mistakes and observations like a tutorial?

madvinegar

Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:54:29 am

This is why I told you to install the 331.
This specific driver is currently the one supporting nvidia primus and bumblebee project.

luchillo17

Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:19:05 am

Yeah, silly me :p . Anyway thanks for all your help, still how do i end this topic? steps in first post for newcommers to get fast to the solution?

madvinegar

Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:58:23 am

No worries, I did it for you.

Swarfendor437

Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:20:12 am

Great job madvinegar! 300 blue jewels to you sir! :D