This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Help required with forum images...

Mike Walsh

Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:23:12 pm

Hi, everybody.

This may seem like an absolutely STUPID question to most of you regulars.....but I'm at my wit's end here.

How do you add an image to a forum post?

I have no problems at all adding images to the Ubuntu forum....but this one seems very, very different. I've tried 'upload attachment'; I've tried copy and paste; I've tried 'insert image'.....nothing seems to work.

I've been using Zorin for a few months now, starting out with OS 8 Ultimate, and recently installing OS Core 9. I like the distro very much. I occasionally post in the forums; not often, but occasionally I want to add a screenshot, or something similar to a post in order to illustrate something. I've wanted to do this 3 or 4 times over the past few weeks, but I've just given up.....'cos I CANNOT make it work.

I don't understand this business with the BB-code tags, nor about linking to an image on a publicly accessible server... What's THAT all about? (Explanations in clear English, PLEASE..!)

I also don't understand this business (in the FAQ's) about needing to be given permission to upload an image to the board.....please, somebody, put me out of my misery, and tell me.

I've been playing around with these things since the days of the Ark, and have belonged to many forums over the years.....and I have NEVER before had THIS problem. Is this to do with additional layers of security?

Can somebody enlighten an old codger, please?

Regards,

Mike.

SplatOz

Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:46:39 pm

At the bottom of the window you type your message in, click the Upload Attachment tab. Then click on the Browse button to find your picture followed by the Add The File button. You can do this repeatedly for multiple pictures.
Upload1.png
upload2.png

Mike Walsh

Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:51:53 pm

Hi, SplatOz.

Yeah. Well, that was the first thing I tried, but for some strange reason, it just doesn't seem to work for me!

What do you think I should do; contact the moderators.....or the Admins? (I can't seem to find ANY admins listed anywhere, nor how to contact them...!

I know that it DOES say that in some sub-forums, attachments may have been disabled...but I was trying to post in the Chat forum, in the thread 'What does your desktop look like?'; so I think they should be enabled.

I also read somewhere that attachments have to be approved on a per-case basis.....I REALLY don't understand what that's all about!

Regards,

Mike.

Swarfendor437

Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:45:22 pm

Hi, I did a tutorial video here:

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v385833212XzmANbj

The other issue is the browser you may be using - for me only Opera 12.16 works - you may want to try Pale Moon based on Firefox 29 which also works! :D

Mike Walsh

Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:31:20 pm

Thanks for that, swarfendor.

Actually, I've done a little bit of research in the last few hours, and discovered these image-sharing sites! Imgur is the one I shall be using from now on (having figured out HOW it actually works.)

I think it's probably a lot easier than navigating the vagaries of different forums. Despite what I said earlier, I have come across a few awkward ones that don't operate on the run-of-the-mill web formats; and I WOULD like everybody to see what I've done with my desktop... (don't say I didn't warn you!)

In fact, I'm heading over to the Chat Forum to post it right now.

BTW, I AM using Firefox. Kinda got to, since Chrome have banned all NPAPI-based apps since...when was it; the end of April, or something like that? Can't use imgur in Chrome, cause it needs Javascript...so, Firefox it is. Actually, I went a little daft this evening. I went and installed bloody Java, didn't I; completely forgetting I'd got NoScript running! Age plays silly tricks on you at times..!

Regards,

Mike.

Mike Walsh

Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:12:06 am

Hi again, swarfendor.

Just had a look at the tutorial again (I've actually watched it once, coupla months back...)

'Scuse my french, but.....chuffin' 'eck, that's a long-winded way of doing things, innit?

What's with saving to the desktop? I know it's the advice that's given to newbies in general, because it makes things easily accessible, and you don't have to dig around in the file system to find things, but.....well; I don't think I've saved anything to the desktop for at LEAST 25 years!

And I do remember you telling me about .png images being better than .jpgs a coupla months back. You remember, I was trying to get OS 8 Ultimate installed, and you asked me for a screenshot of GParted, so you could see what I was playing at? And THEN I found out the install was activating an old version of Ubuntu I'd got on my external Seagate.... See if this reminds you:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7595

Lot of water under the bridge since then; I daresay a LOT of posts, too!!

Regards,

Mike.

Swarfendor437

Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:27:35 am

Hi Mike, glad you are sorted! :D Well the video was done for speed and remember that Screenshot that I used in that video defaults to Desktop - you just use the drop-down arrow at the side of 'Desktop' to change location! ;)