This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin upgrade to ubuntu 14.04

kekkonen

Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:18:04 pm

My update manager suggested upgrade to ubuntu 14.04 (lite?) an i thought to give it a go.
After upgrade i get black screen and two weird size internet browser windows. Cursor looks normal on internet bowser windows but on black screen it looks like black x with white edges.
My laptop is old Fujitsu-Siemens with radeon xpress 1100 video an "Designed for Windows XP" sticker :lol:
So any advise is welcome especially in form of terminal codes, since i dont have menu deck or anything else for that matter.

A.Kekkonen

SteveD

Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:06:23 pm

You've tried to upgrade one OS (Zorin) with another (Ubuntu)

Although Zorin is based on Ubuntu it's not the same thing.

Best you can do is a re-install. If you need Lite, Zorin 9 Lite is now available.

Swarfendor437

Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:53:36 am

OK for clarity can you confirm what version of Zorin you had installed before this happened? In earlier versions of Zorin you had to instruct the Update Manager to 'Never' in respect of 'Update to latest version of Ubuntu' - in later releases Zorin sorted this issue out. ;)

kekkonen

Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:23:09 pm

That is just perfect (bit of bitter irony).
Anyway, i cant recall what version of zorin did i have, but im guessing some older version because update manager suggested to upgrade to ubuntu. I had no clue that it would be a total dissaster and did not know of "Never" option in update manager.
Thank you guys for your replys, i´ll try to install whole thing from the start.

kekkonen

Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:24:44 pm

And i´m back :)

Made live boot usb flash and tried to install zorin 9 lite. When restarting and pressing F12 vigorously get option to boot from usb, when selected it goes to normal zorin/ubuntu starting screen (where you can select to start ubuntu, recovery mode and so on... or don´t press anything, after some seconds it starts ubuntu shows zorin loading screen and brings me back to my black screen with couple of internet browser window)
Am i doing something wrong?
Help really needed, this is starting to get on my nerve.

kekkonen

Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:30:17 am

Help still wanted, so if you have any ideas dont hold back!

shneor

Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:38:45 pm

You might try the esc key instead of F12. Just a thought.
Shneor

kekkonen

Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:39:27 pm

Thanks for your reply.
That was somewhat useful actually.
When i make live boot usb ( with Disc Image Writer ) it seems to work. After the process is done there is zorin os 9 lite, under the "device". But when i press esc when booting it shows that there is no operating system and when pressing F12 and choosing manually boot from usb it goes to my zorin/ubuntu mutation os.

Ideas anybody?

Swarfendor437

Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:29:13 pm

Hi, you mentioned you have a 'mutated ubuntu/zorin' install which suggests you selected to update to Ubuntu 14.04 latest - I'm afraid you need to make a fresh install and then in Software Updater (Menu | System Tools | Administration), click on 'Settings' button and make sure 'Update to latest version of Ubuntu' is set to 'Never'! :D

kekkonen

Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:41:30 pm

Yes, i have to install new os. And as in my previos reply stated i have been trying to do so without any luck.
Problem seems to be that im not able to make a live boot usb flash.

Swarfendor437

Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:56:16 pm

OK, is the OS working at all? if it is, then download MultiSystem 3 from Softpedia and use that to format your USB to Fat 32 and once complete, you can drag the .iso to the interface to install to USB:

http://linux.softpedia.com/get/System/I ... 5623.shtml

kekkonen

Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:23:39 am

I guess the os is working somehow. I can go to downloads folder and other places through internet browser options (selecting downloads - open downloads folder). Can use terminal (opens with shortcut keys).
I have tried to format the usb flash to fat and to compatible with linux os but still no luck. Tough laptop recognize usb flash under devices the Universal USB Installer nor LinuxLive USB Creator does not.

Swarfendor437

Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:58:21 am

Can you install MultiSystem from that link at all? You are formatting to FAT 32 and not just FAT! :D

kekkonen

Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:07:03 pm

I did install MultiSystem but after unzipping it i get install-depot-multisystem.sh file and bunch of MultiSystem vol.par2 files/boxes. I cant get the program running though.

Not sure if it format to FAT on FAT32. Compatible with all system and devices (FAT) it says.

Swarfendor437

Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:54:52 pm

OK, I have created an installation video for you! ;)

https://vimeo.com/104187694

kekkonen

Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:43:08 am

Thank for the effort, i appreciate it.
Since my screen ratio is screwed up i could´nt see what the second code is, after "cd Desktop". Can you reveal it so i could finally stop this madness and stop bothering you :D

Swarfendor437

Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:30:14 pm

Code:
sudo ./install-depot-multisystem.sh

Just remember that you should navigate to the place where the '.sh' file is before entering that command and that you have extracted it from the tarr.gz. :D

I will redo the video as I made the mistake of recording in .avi instead of .mkv! :oops:

kekkonen

Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:13:37 pm

Allrighty, wrote a reply and it went lost due to you need to be logged in, though i was just second ago. So shorter version goes.
Installed MultiSystem, updated and nothing.
In your tutorial video 4:00 you get a option on left up corner and when "checked" new window appears above MultiSystem window. Mine doesnt do that. Afer update it goes to same MultiSystem window (language, theem and so on). It doesn detect any flash drives, i tried two.
After exit command it shots down but an MultiSystem loading screen stays in up left corner.
Any ideas? Or is it time for some Fujitsu Siemens frisbee?

Swarfendor437

Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:59:19 pm

OK, just for clarity, I have been having some issues with my 32Gb stick - that icon was the 32 GB stick with MultiSystem on it - that won't appear until you have formatted your stick with MultiSystem! I will attempt to back up my 32 Gb stick and try and do an up-to-date video! ;)