This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Can't Boot Windows 7

raddante

Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:04:35 am

http://paste.ubuntu.com/8042020/

I installed Zorin on a separate partition. From the boot-repair report, it looks like Windows is still there, but it doesn't show up in the boot menu. I have tried several of the options in the boot menu and none of them work. When I had Mint, the boot options came up automatically. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. I'm a bit of a noob, so please go step-by-step. Thanks :)

P.S. I ran boot-repair and it says that it's fixed, but it's not--grrrr.

Swarfendor437

Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:33:14 pm

Hi, I would try this:

1. If you have a Windows 7 disc or you have a Windows 7 Repair disc - boot from that - choose advanced repair options and choose the command/dos prompt and log on to your Windows partition - if you don't have a repair disc if you have a friend with the same version of Windows 7 they could create a repair disc for you but it MUST be the same type e.g., 32-bit Professional/32-bit Home etc to work. When in the Cmd prompt, choose the Windows partition to connect to and enter:

Code:
bootrec.exe /fixmbr
or

Code:
bootrec.exe /fixboot

This will mean you will 'lose' your Zorin but it will still be there.

2. Boot into Windows and download Easy BCD 2.2 from Softpedia.com. After installing, launch it and add a new entry to the Windows boot loader by choosing the Penguin (GNU/Linux) tab and make sure you choose GRUB2 bootloader then choose the partition where this bootloader is - I suspect that you put your GRUB at the start of the Zorin partition which is why Windows is not showing up. - Choose the partition marked 'ext4'. Give it a name (I will have to wait til I get home to sort out Part B of my video on this bit! Save your changes then reboot.