This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

VERY peculiar goings-on...

Mike Walsh

Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:58:53 pm

Evening all.

Now then; something very, VERY strange has just happened to my system.

I'm running Zorin Core OS 9, in dual-boot with Ubuntu 14.04, on which this is based. Both OSs have been installed, and happily running alongside each other, since the start of June...without ANY problems.

I logged in about half an hour ago, to discover that the greater part of my GUI has reset itself to the Unity colour scheme/theme as used in Ubuntu!

Curiouser and curiouser, the Theme Changer now has NO effect. I logged out last time with it running on the Zorin 'Blue' theme (which I like!); since logging on this evening, it was on the light theme (except it looks like Unity), and trying both 'Blue' and 'Dark' doesn't seem to do anything at all.

Has anybody ever come across this one?

I tweaked Ubuntu 4 or 5 days ago with the Unity Tweak Tool, to give it Win 7 effect icons, but I can't see how that could affect Zorin. I have NEVER heard of cross-contamination between Oss before. I appear to have suddenly acquired Win 7 icons in both browsers, and Unity theme icons in the taskbar, and elsewhere in the system.....and a strange mixture of the two in Docky..!

The only other thing I've done, which has been in the last 24 hours, is to install the 'Grub Customizer' in Ubuntu in order to personalise the Grub menu.....but that should only affect the Grub menu, surely?

Anybody got any ideas on this one ?? I'm stumped. I've re-booted 2 or 3 times, in case it was just one of those one-off flukes, but the problem persists. The system is about ten years old, although it's had very little use during that time.....but in recent weeks, the hard drive does seem to be running a LOT more than it ever used to; at times, almost constantly, chattering away to itself like one of those old-fashioned Telex machines!

I wonder if it's on its way out? Either that, or I've acquired, somehow, a Linux 'virus'.....but that can't happen in Linux, can it? Apart from that, the OS still works exactly as it should (!) Thoughts, anybody?

UPDATE:-

Upon further investigation, I appear to have Unity-style drop-down menus on the desktop and taskbar, although the right-click menu for the Zorin menu logo looks so much like Win 95 it's untrue... Both browsers (Firefox AND Chrome) now appear almost identical to my mate's Vista versions, and context menus elsewhere in the system look like an eclectic mix of Win 95, Win2000 & Win XP. It's almost as though the Unity Tweak Tool has somehow migrated across the partition from one OS to the other.....but I can't see how that's even possible, much less actually happen.

Regards,

Mike.

Henriolavi

Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:37:50 am

Hi

Something similar happen to my Zorin 9 Core installation too. Look this linked

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8042

Finally it was so mixed up with disappearing Zorin menu and not working Software center and updater that only way out of the situation was to make a new installation. I downloaded a new Zorin 9 Educational then and it has worked ok. until now. I believe that the cause for mixup was unmet dependencies of installed packages that Synaptic or update could not detect or fix.

madvinegar

Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:40:38 am

Do you have a common /home for both installations?

Also, have you tried running ubuntu tweak in Zorin 9 and set the theme and icons back to the Zorin ones?

Mike Walsh

Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:23:05 am

Thanks for replying, guys.

@Henriolavi; Hm! Nice to know I'm not the ONLY one with this problem. I may end up doing a reinstall; it's not the amount of time it takes (which isn't long compared to MyCrudSoft's products), it's simply the messing about, and re-installing everything afterwards..!

@MadVinegar: No, that's one thing I haven't done. I wanted to keep the two OSs completely separate, so I installed them on separate partitions. If you look here:-

http://i.imgur.com/YokKxRY.png

you'll see what I mean. sda1 is Ubuntu, sda5 is Zorin. The only other things are a swap area, and a very small amount of unallocated space.

I'll confess, I never thought of running the Unity Tweak Tool in Zorin; would it even work? I know Zorin is based on 14.04, but the U.T.T is designed for Unity, surely?

I'll give it a go, and let you know how I get on!

Regards,

Mike.

madvinegar

Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:48:26 am

I said ubuntu tweak, not unity tweak.
http://ubuntu-tweak.com/

Mike Walsh

Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:42:44 pm

Sorry, madvinegar, my bad; must have mis-read your post!

Even stranger, I've just logged in again 5 minutes ago.....and it's all reset itself back to normal. VERY odd...

I'll have a look for the Ubuntu tweak thingamajig....is it in the Sopftware Centre?

Regards,

Mike.

madvinegar

Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:37:01 pm

Download it from the link I gave you.