This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Wifi/network applet - no menu

razer0794

Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:18:59 am

Hi,
I'm using Zorin 9 on my notebook and I'm very satisfied with it. But I have one very annoying bug. Sometimes, when I connect to different wifi networks, the indicator applet in the taskbar, doesn't show anything in the network menu. All other applets, like sound & battery work perfectly. But the network menu just shows a menu with a height of ~1-2px. After a restart, the bug is gone. Does anybody else have that issue, or an idea how to solve it?

madvinegar

Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:01:36 pm

Can you post a screenshot to see what you mean?

razer0794

Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:28:35 am

Ok, I made a short video of the bug.
What I did now, was connecting to a wifi and disconnecting the network cable.
Sometimes, also the circle icon appears and disappears after some time.
Now I've just realized,that I can't even connect to the wifi network

madvinegar

Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:47:37 pm

First of all and just to make sure that you are using the correct driver for your wireless card, can you please post back the results of the following commands:

lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net
sudo lshw -c network
sudo rfkill list all

P.S.: Are you Greek? I see your nickname is "Andreas". :mrgreen:

razer0794

Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:40:01 pm

I've never installed a wifi driver, zorin recognized it by itself. But it seems to have the right one.

madvinegar

Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:42:51 am

So you don't have any problems with the connection. It's just the applet that causes the headaches.

You are not using any theme other than the zorin theme, correct? Have you tried changing theme (i.e. to Zorin Blue) just to see if it is a theme problem.

razer0794

Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:03:20 pm

I was using the default theme Zorin Light 1.0. I've just tried Zorin Blue and had the same bug. By the way, is it possible to change the background colour of the applet to black?

blfriis

Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:08:56 pm

Sometimes I have the same problem I just move the bar to the top... Right click on the bar then click on settings and move it to the top.. You can move it down again the same way.

Swarfendor437

Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:36:52 pm

Or if you would like a totally different set up:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7983

or install Cairo Dock DE:

download/file.php?id=3289&mode=view

:D :D :D

razer0794

Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:57:49 am

Thanks, I'll try that out. But which packages do I need? I don't want a MAC OSX design :)

Does this work for Ubuntu 14.04/Zorin 9?

Swarfendor437

Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:39:50 pm

Hi, My first link uses the Win7 look - I used the packages of AWN that are in the repos from Ubuntu 12.04 - hence that link in the post I directed you to (first one) The only one I could not install was the Wireless icon as it is dependent on something else.

Cairo-Dock DE is aimed at a MAC type interface but I currently am enjoying this one in Cairo-Dock DE - Zorinesque curvy panels at top and bottom - means I get two different menus!:

Screenshot Main Menu.jpg

Screenshot YAMA with search.jpg

Please note that I have 'replaced' Zorin Menu with GnoMenu (http://www.upubuntu.com/2012/03/how-to- ... unity.html)

To install Cairo-Dock just open a terminal (Menu | Accessories | Terminal) and enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get install cairo-dock

:D

My Appearance settings in Cairo Dock:

Screenshot Cairo Appearance.jpg