This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[Solved] Zorin Lite Won't Install, Live Boot Works

shneor

Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:44:03 pm

Hi all,
I am having a real problem trying to install Zorin 9 Lite on my ASUS EEEPC4G. I have 2gb of ram, and the disk (SSD) is 4gb. I also have a 32gb SD card formatted to ext4 installed. The live version works great, but every time I try to install to the disk, the message I get is that I am out of space, and that the installer crashed. I have used gparted to check the partition table, and I'm just confused. My /dev/sda has two partitions (plus a logical?). /dev/sda1 is formatted as ext2, size 243mb, of which only 46.49mb is used. Then /dev/sda2 is formatted as extended, 3.49gb, but is defined as /dev/sda5 as lvm2 pv zorin-os-vg (I finally decided to try using the lvm option) same size, but 3.44gb used. Then, my /dev/sdc, has 4mb of unallocated space, plus /dev/sdc1, formatted as ext4, as /media/live/CARD CARD. I opted not to connect to the internet for this install. I'd really appreciate help, as I have tried to install multiple times with slight variations, but nothing works.
Shneor

shneor

Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:56:38 pm

Just to add, I don't understand why thi installer insists on 2gb of swap. Sure, I have 2gb of memory, but 500mb of swap should be plenty. I manually resized partitions, hope the install will keep them if I don't unmount them.
Shneor

shneor

Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:07:51 pm

Zorin install insists on deleting the partitions I created. Trying to use the "advanced partitioning tool" does not allow me to continue (maybe the checkbox is below the page botton??). Also does not allow me to go back (revert does nothing). Does anyone have an idea how I can keep the partitions I already created?
Shneor

shneor

Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:18:19 pm

It appears that the screen size is too small for the display, so I can't see options on the bottom of the screen (poor design, if you ask me). I can see the upper halp of the line that says "device for bootloader installation", but nothing else. Is there a solution?

shneor

Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:41:30 pm

I attached a larger monitor, and this time I was able to run the entire installation process...hit the "restart now" button - and it won't boot. I removed the usb stick after shutdown, but no reboot. Sigh. HELP!!! Please!
Shneor

shneor

Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:19:49 pm

Well, I solved it. Turned out that grub did not write to the device. Spent some time with install-grub and fixed it.
I hope there's a global way to downooad and install all the third-party software that I need.

Linx

Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:38:03 pm

I'm really glad you were able to get it to work! Let us know if you have any issues we can help with!

Swarfendor437

Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:25:57 pm

shneor wrote:Well, I solved it. Turned out that grub did not write to the device. Spent some time with install-grub and fixed it.
I hope there's a global way to downooad and install all the third-party software that I need.

Hi, usually that occurs if you check mark the box at point of install (download all updates during install) - the exception will be if you have an .iso with the '-a' extension - because it is illegal to have some codecs present in your country? :D