This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Z9 lite as server

Acer DeVille

Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:05:21 pm

This goes along with the other thread I had up, but it's just different enough that I thought it needed it's own thread.

I have taken the advice given, and I'm currently in the process of installing Z9 lite, my question is since this computer will basically run 24/7, how much would be involved in using it as a server for the rest of the housed? Would just installing "system-config-samba", and setting it up as server be all I need to do, other than sharing folders on the individual computers, and phone's? Unfortunately I know how to do this in Windows, but I'm not sure about Linux just yet. I am trying to save myself a lot of trouble, of doing things my way, and then finding out that doesn't work and having to redo all of it. I hate redoing a job worse than anything else. Basically I want to set things up, of course to be able to browse and share files, but I want to be able to save my backups to that computer, and it's large hdd.

edit: I also meant to ask what would be the easiest way to set up a remote control for this pc? I thought about doing a ssh through our cellphones, I've also tried a few of the apps in the android store that are supposed to set up a remote between the cell and pc, with no luck, I have even looked at purchasing an infrared remote that you can purchase from Amazon, and some other places, it's basically a universal remote, and then a usb ir receiver, but just not sure exactly would be the best course of action.

madvinegar

Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:55:00 am

As regards the remote, what I have found to work nicely in the past was gmote. http://www.gmote.org/
Better to use an application like this rather than an infrared remote. The infrared remote will oblige you to be placed a few meters across the PC in order to use it.
Apps like gmote work using your LAN so you could practically use it from any room in the house as long as your cellphone is connected to your home's wireless LAN.

Linx

Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:59:25 pm

A server is nothing more than the services it provides. To make a Linux box a sver, all you have to do is install and configure the software, and your done. Most software will even do the hard parts for you (like setting up the init scripts, and making edits to the firewall if needed) Samba I do believe will require some user configuration.

As far as remote access goes, SSH is one of the best. You can do anything with SSH. (even your file sharing can be done via SSH, sshfs). Depending on what you are wanting to do, the only thing you can't really do with SSH is boot the computer, and for that I would suggest getting a "WOL" app (Wake On Lan) and make sure it is enabled on your computer. If you are trying to use SSH from your cellphone it may be worth looking into getting a different keyboard, so you can send things like [ctrl]+[c] to the machine, I know on android they have a "hacker keyboard" and I find it to work great.

To set up ssh on the machine all you have to do is
Code:
sudo apt-get install -y openssh-server
i can't say to much for samba as I use sshfs instead, I have set it up samba , just not in many many years!

Swarfendor437

Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:18:04 pm

i seem to remember that a Global post, courtesy of dkassemos:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7474

This would be the best way to go - use Centos 6.5 - I gave a link in that thread on how it is done:

http://linuxserverathome.com/content/ce ... tion-guide

Linx

Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:49:16 pm

I can agree if the machine is going to be used soly as a server I would suggest using a OS that was designed to be a server ( I use CentOS6.5 at my home and on all my leased servers )..

However if it is still going to be used by someone sitting down at the machine, then I think keeping Zorin on it will be fine.

The reason I use a server OS is mainly for the lower overhead. It seems I'm only using about 86MB of ram for the system.
Code:
[myuser@myserver ~]$ cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal:        2097152 kB
MemFree:         2008944 kB
[myuser@myserver ~]$ free -m
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:          2048         86       1961          0          0         52
-/+ buffers/cache:         33       2014
Swap:            0          0          0

But using a Server OS is kinda like linux hardmode, as typically it is suggested you not have a GUI on the machine as the gui will add a significant overhead, ofcouse using linux you can add a gui if you wanted, or remove one and thus the choice is always up to you.