This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

External usb harddrive not showing

Keymaster

Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:07:22 pm

hello I am NEW to linux and Zorin but was told Zorin was the way to go when transitioning from windows to linux. I have my external hard drive usb pluged in its a 3tb h/d and has all of my Movies and stuff on it. When I go to home I do not see it anywhere. I used it with Windows 7, where I am comming from. any help on why?

Swarfendor437

Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:06:14 pm

Hi Keymaster, unfortunately, GNU/Linux (any flavour) can only see 2 TB Max! :(

Keymaster

Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:31:54 pm

I can see my other 3TB drive (internal) with no problem. I guess I will just have to make it an internal drive so I can see it.

Swarfendor437

Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:05:22 pm

Keymaster

Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:08:07 am

not really now more confused.....lol So someone said 2.199 is the largest Linux can read. I know the 3tb I have is readable I see it on here it has all the files on it here and in windows. I cant see the othe one unless I make it internal hard drive so I am guessing linux cant see file systems over 2tb on usb. but none the less I will just make it internal. Thanks

Swarfendor437

Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:46:10 am

I was going to suggest this in my last thread and you may have given the answer in your last posting - you mentioned Windows and Linux on the same drive = partitioning = drive is split up - perhaps that is the answer? Bearing in mind USB is not SATA! ;)