This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Failed Brother MFC-495CW installation

Ranman

Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:46:43 am

Upgrading from Zorin 6.2 core to 9 Lite using the forcepae option on a Thinkpad T40. Only thing holding me back is installing the stupid printer. The Brother MFC-495CW printer is running wireless. Completed several failed attempts to install the printer on the laptop using the Brother installation files. Reinstalled Zorin 6.2 and got an acknowledgement that the printer was successfully installed half way through the process and was able to print. The URI successfully chosen under 6.2 was something like dnssd://brother%20%mfc-495cw_pdl-datastream._tcp.local/. This option doesn't show up when installing under 9-Lite. Downloaded another copy of 9-Lite (same size as the first download) and burned another DVD. Got the same results. The T40 sees the a MFC-495CW printer but Printer Properties - MFC495CW on localhost/Printer State shows: Processing - Unable to locate printer "BRW060C607653A1F6". Tried using that BRW060C607653A1F6 number as a URI also with no luck. The printer runs fine wireless from our HP desktop and Thinkpad X230. Googled Linux CUPS and went into localhost:631/admin. Printer was listed there. Not sure why the printer was so easy to install under 6.2 and such a dog under 9-Lite. What am I missing?

Swarfendor437

Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:43:30 pm

Ranman

Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:51:01 pm

More information - both printer properties and CUPS/administration give the same location of the printer (lpd://BRW0C607653A1F6/BINARY_P1). From <system tools><printers><server><settings> there's a message: CUPS server error There was an HTTP error: Not found. Is this the problem and how is it resolved? Thanks in advance.

Swarfendor437

Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:02:42 pm

Hi, I am not sure - what happens if you try the tried and trusted method of doing it this way (I am making an assumption that the drivers have installed):

1. Open a terminal and enter:

Code:
system-config-printer

2. This brings up the printers/printing interface - click on Add and follow the usual steps to select the printer.

Keep us posted! :D

Ranman

Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:15:20 pm

The link to the Brother's website is where I downloaded the 3 printer installation files, which worked fine under Zorin 6.2. For all 6.2 good and 9 Lite failed installations I unzipped the .gz file and used sudo bash linux-brprinter-installer-2.0.0-1 MFC-495CW to install. The Brothers files also allowed installation under LXLE 12.04.4 (wif'e's out of town so I can spend crazy amounts of time playing on the computer). One of the ubuntu forums recommended installing by double clicking on the Brother .deb files in the Download folder but this also failed.

On your suggestion I entered the system-config-printer terminal command and got the following message: (system-config-printer.py.2872): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk-widgets.css:835:17: Theming engine 'adwaita' not found. Any ideas on this? The Printer - localhost box opened but my printer isn't listed as a choice.

Swarfendor437

Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:58:37 pm

Sorry, my bad :oops: forgot you are using Lite - is Core version of 9 not possible to install? In respect of .deb files you would be advised to install Gdebi Package Installer from the terminal:

Code:
suo apt-get install gdebi

Then go to the .deb file you downloaded, right-click and select Open with ... gdebi - if it lets you do that - I don't have any machine running Zorin Lite I'm afraid! :)

Ranman

Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:15:54 pm

The Thinkpad T40 has the non-PAE Pentium M processor. Chose the 9 Lite version because it's suppose to run on non PAE processes when you add the forecpae option before installing (which it does). Pretty sure 9 core uses PAE.

Thanks for the tip on gdebi package. Added that to the list.

Swarfendor437

Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:45:44 pm

OK, can't remember if it states this or not but if it is pae take a look at this tutorial on Ubuntu 12.10 that had pae:

http://www.webupd8.org/2012/11/how-to-i ... n-pae.html

Ranman

Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:24:39 pm

Root cause of the problem appears to be a CUPS issue and not related to the forcepae install option. Got the printer to run under Zorin 9 lite after using the following commands, then reinstalling the Brother drivers:

sudo apt-get purge cups
sudo apt-get install cups

This changed CUPS from 1.7.3, which came with 9 Lite, to 1.7.2. During the driver reinstallation when the question came up to pick a device URL the choice that worked under Zorin 6.2 core [ xx (A) auto (dnnsd://Brother%20MFC-495CW._pdl-datastream._tcp.local) ] was finally listed. Chose it and the test page printed.

Swarfendor437

Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:27:40 pm

Great news! :D Can this be marked as [SOLVED]? 120 blue jewels to you sir for determination and resolving your own issues - and for sharing how you did it for the benefit of others! :D

Ranman

Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:43:32 pm

Yes, this is solved. Thanks. Have to check into this blue jewel thing now.