This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED]Ubuntu icons instead of Zorin icons on desktop

Hensyr Wolf

Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:04:16 am

Hi dear readers,

Because i have to many problems with the latest dvd of Zorin OS 9 Core (which i have burned with ImgBurn at the speed of x4 and succesfully used on an other machine) and receive an error each time ill try to install it on this machine after i input my name and password, i have to try an other method.
I have restarted the computer and by the splashscreen with the two icons underneed i pressed a key on the keyboard and choose my language, after that i pressed the F6 key on the keyboard and with the arrow keys of the keyboard i selected "Nomodeset" and press enter to marked it. Hit the Esc key and selected to "Try Zorin withoud installing" and press enter, so Zorin OS starts up in live modus.
Before i install Zorin i opened the terminal and did this:
Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
and direct after that i installed Zorin with succes.
This time i have installed Zorin OS on a second hard disk (where Windows 7 is installed on the other hard disk) where i choose to also get the Grub2 on the hdd where Zorin is installed. (i know that this is not dual boot).
The manner one of these two separate OS's can start is managed with EasyBCD (prog) where i make a link to the Linux hdd in the MBR
So when i started the computer the MBR let me choose which loader has to startup (the Windows 7 loader or the Linux Grub2), that way i can mess up the Linux hdd and still start the Windows 7 loader or visa versa.

But something odd happens here when i started Zorin OS 9 Core the desktop shows my Ubuntu icons instead of the Zorin OS icons and i have to wait 45 seconds till i can move the mouse and hit the keys on the keyboard.
So the screen is more or less freezing for 45 sec. went black and came back in a fraction of one sec. and started the mouse and keyboard so that i can use both.
I try to fix that problem to install the NVIDIA 173.14.39 driver and update and upgrade Zorin OS 9 but the problem remains the same.

What can i do to have the pure Zorin OS 9 Core desktop icons?

Henriolavi

Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:34:34 am

Hi

You can install the Gnome Tweak Tool and there the icon themes can be changed.

icon themes.jpg

Hensyr Wolf

Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:57:32 am

Hi Henriolavi,

Thanks for the reply, i downloaded Tweak Tool from the software center.
The icons are exact the way they should be now. Thanks for that. :)

Also the 45 sec. freeze of the desktop are gone by remove an USB stick that was inserted in the computer.
By removing the USB stick first before start up the computer, the desktop loaded with succes immidiatly and i could have the use of the mouse and the keyboard instantly. :P

So both of the problems are solved. :D