This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Upgrading from v8 to v9. and moving to a different HDD?

geniv

Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:43:16 pm

NewBie here.
I LOVE zorin OS and switched from Win7 to it.

I got two installation and two question:

1) it is a desktop with Zorin8 with alot of apps installed and settings made for my use/network. How do I go about upgrading it to Zorin9?

2) I got a laptop installed with Zorin9 it is in a regular 250gb mechanical HDD. I got a 60gb SSD on order and want to move the installation over to the 60GB SSD. How do i go about that? the laptop is only using about 13GB of the drive space anyway so 60GB should be fine.
I got arconis 2010 in a separate machine with windows 7. Is it possible for me to take the Zorin HDD out and put it in to the Win7 machine and use Arconis to make a partition image and then put that image to the new SSD?

Thanks in advance.

SteveD

Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:12:29 pm

I know nothing about ssds but for the desktop, do you have it partitioned so /home is on a separate partition?

If you have follow wolfman's thread here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4848

If you haven't I used this https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Parti ... ome/Moving to move it to it's own partition first and then followed wolfman's guide

geniv

Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:59:12 pm

both this is a standard installation

SteveD

Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:26:32 pm

OK if it was a standard install then follow the second link first.

After you install 9 you'll still have to reinstall any software but all the software data will still be in your /home directory.

i.e. I had Virtual Box installed on Zorin 8 with a Windows Vista virtual machine installed. After installing Zorin 9 I still had to re-install Virtual Box but the Windows Vista was there as soon as I ran it.