This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Brightness cannot be adjusted.

mikrop

Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:03:34 pm

I have a Toshiba laptop and kept installing every new version of Zorin whenever it was released, hoping that the problem I was having was fixed. But I had the same issue and am wondering if anybody else had this rather annoying issue, as well.

The screen brightness on my laptop is way too much and I always turn it down, either using the FN (function) key on the laptop or adjusting the brightness through Windows brightness settings. But when using Zorin, neither the FN function key on my laptop nor the Zorin brightness setting works.

Swarfendor437

Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:33:04 pm

Hi try this:

"
Code:
sudo gedit /etc/default/grub

And then type your root password and insert these lines:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_backlight=vendor"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="acpi_osi=Linux"

Save and exit.

Code:
sudo update-grub

Restart your laptop and then it should work by the "Fn" + left and right arrows."

Taken from here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1152 ... u#12186638

I know it was a different notebook to yours but give it a try - it MIGHT work? ;)

Barry F

Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:51:07 pm

Hi
I have a Toshiba laptop also and I did have the same problem when i started my laptop screen always to bright so this is what I did to fix it.

This method I am using is not what u are asking for but doing this way your laptop will always boot up at what you set the brightness at.

Open your terminal then enter

Code:
sudo -i

Enter your password

Then enter

Code:
gedit /etc/rc.local

The rc.local window will open up and then type in the following code. Make sure you put it right above the exit 0 line.

Code:
echo 2 > /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness

Save the new setting then reboot your laptop and your screen brightness should be lower.

I have mine set at echo 2 which is the setting I like. To adjust the brightness that you like just change the echo 2 to what setting you like it at.
example echo 9 full brightness
example echo 1 less brightness

Here is what my rc.local looks like

42.png

I hope this helps you