This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin 9 Web Browser Manager ?

ErnieKos

Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:16:36 pm

HELP--I have finally managed to get Zorin 9 ony PNY thumb drive for usb alternative to XP on lenova ideapad.
Yesterday I managed to uninstall Firefox with Web Browser Manager and Install Google Chrome! Worked fine once in. I shut down and removed stick. This am put stick in and re started -----UGH ! is back to original with Firefox Browser (useless). How do I get Google Chrome Browser to STAY so at turn on , that is the Browser??

I wanted Zorin 9.1 --due to read had Chrome browser but go for it and downloads Zorin 9 with Firefox.
vacationdoc@yahoo.com

Swarfendor437

Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:17:47 pm

Hi, if you are just running off a thumb drive you need to create one with 'persistence' - that is one that keeps setting and data. What thumb drive program did you use to create the bootable thumb drive? :D

ErnieKos

Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:13:23 pm

I used a PNY 8GB thumb and Rufus to get it on there.
If I use Zorin Web Browser Manager, I can INSTALL Google Chrome , and works fine after I likk with Gmail account.I can aslso Remove Firefox easily. But when I Shutdown--and start again It reverts bach to Firefox Browser -- all documentcd etc are Empty.

Swarfendor437

Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:21:58 pm

Hi does Rufus allow persistence? It is not one I have come across before - whenever you make a usb copy of a distribution of any GNU/Linux distro it will effectively always be 'live' unless you make one with 'persistence':

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/what-is-persistent-linux/

ErnieKos

Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:50:03 pm

Tks--will give it a try---have used pendrive before but no idea about the persistence thingy--Ern

ErnieKos

Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:32:50 pm

ell, used the Universal USB installer---with persistence ( has a MB setting ?) -apparently rufus doesn't have that option.Loaded on stick (9GB pny). Plugged in, turned comp. on , Zorin was right thereI Pushed nothing). loaded--Ahha felt goos same SOP. BUT--bad news:tried to install chrome;
[ 213.536891] [sdb] 4:0:0:0 [sdb] asking for cache data failed
[213.537156] [sdb] 4:0:0:0 [sdb] assuming drive cache: write through

these 2 lines filled the screen eventually !

Is it possible that someone could put the correct thing in a win zip 7 and send it to me?

I tried to circumvent--loaded Unbunta 14:04 with persistance and loaded----
Says has to be loaded from Terminal--- google-chrome-stable
OMG many lines of problems
UGH !!
Ernie
vacationdoc@yahoo.com

Swarfendor437

Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:42:53 am

OK, the commands from a terminal (to launch, Menu | Accessories | Terminal) and enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get install google-chrome-stable

:D