This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Wireless Driver Help (Atheros)

urbanflowambi

Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:01:38 am

Hi, I am slightly new to Linux and thought that I would install Zorin 9 to my netbook to speed it up and make it more useful, however, when running in live mode off of an SD card, I have no wireless. Being rather new to this, I followed a post that had helped someone with a similar netbook, however I had no success using the terminal commands provided. I had an ethernet connection established and the post was:
Code:
sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/ath9k.conf

A blank document will open.
Copy and paste the following line inside it
Code:
options ath9k nohwcrypt=1

Press "Save" to save the file, close it, reboot and see if it works.

I believe the netbook is a Acer Aspire One D150-1577, and the wireless card is either Atheros AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 PCI-E or Broadcom 802.11g

madvinegar

Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:58:52 am

The command you used is when your card is actually an atheros card, you are using ath9k as driver, you have established connection and you are getting interruptions or disconnects due to N Band. Nothing to do for enabling your wireless.

Before running any other command, please post back here the result of the following 2 commands just to verify what you card actually is and what driver you need (and also confirm that your card is not blocked).

lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net
sudo rfkill list all

urbanflowambi

Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:48:41 pm

live@zorin-os:~$ lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net
01:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY [14e4:4315] (rev 01)
Subsystem: Foxconn International, Inc. Device [105b:e018]
Kernel driver in use: b43-pci-bridge
03:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Qualcomm Atheros AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 Gigabit or Fast Ethernet [1969:1026] (rev b0)
Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device [1025:019c]
Kernel driver in use: ATL1E
live@zorin-os:~$ sudo rfkill list all
0: acer-wireless: Wireless LAN
Soft blocked: no
Hard blocked: no
live@zorin-os:~$

madvinegar

Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:04:04 pm

As you see, your wireless card is a broadcom one.
So, first of all you must delete the atheros file you created. In terminal run:

Code:
sudo rm /etc/modprobe.d/ath9k.conf

Then to install the driver you need, open terminal, plug an ethernet cable to get internet and run the following commands:

Code:
sudo apt-get install bcmwl-kernel-source
sudo modprobe -r wl
sudo modprobe wl

Wait 5-6 seconds and then check if your wireless can pick up wireless networks.