This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Indicator 3 App crashes in AWN

marx404

Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:51:23 pm

Just updated from Zorin 8 to Zorin 9. Wondering if I made a big mistake. Everything worked flawlessly in Zorin 8. Having some issues with 9, (most minor annoyances like Pithos is very slow to load now), but biggest issue is Indicator 3 Applet seems to crash when Zorin starts. Everything except Keyboard Layout (Character map) app shows, all the other apps, Connection, Volume, Clock, User name app, all dissapear.

I have tried Opening AWN settings and removing the Indicator 3 App than replacing it. Ten when I reboot, it all disappears as stated above.
What gives? Is AWN incompatible with Zorin 9?

Swarfendor437

Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:54:18 pm

Hi see my workarounds here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7983

marx404

Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:47:08 pm

Those are great, thanks! will look into them after.....I figure out why the default awn is breaking.

Is there any way to re install AWN?

Henriolavi

Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:37:25 am

Hi

My "workaroud" was this:

Desktop 10x.png

I moved the AWN to the top, remowed all other apps there than Zorin menu and Indicator 3 applets. I use it in hiding mode due to it loads the apllets better than panel mode. To the bottom I installed Docky. AWN seems to work now without problems there and desktop looks even better.

Swarfendor437

Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:20:49 pm

marx404 wrote:Those are great, thanks! will look into them after.....I figure out why the default awn is breaking.

Is there any way to re install AWN?

Hi, I am not sure if it's name has changed slightly but this is the usual way:

Code:
sudo apt-get purge avant-window-navigator && sudo apt-get install avant-window-navigator

Quick remedy for the applet is to 'remove' and 'put back' in Preferences | Applets of the Panel! :D

Or move to Top and back down again!

My biggest grudge on that applet is you cannot make it transparent or change it's colour! :D

You can try this - uncheck - 'automatically start' then install 'Docky' if that is what you want to do (does not have all the applets I like to use - hence why I 'downgrade' to the old AWN. Docky usually launches as a MACosX type of bar which you can 'expand' in just the same way as AWN - AWN is a 'panel' by default - if you uncheck 'expand' it becomes a MacOSX dock! :D

marx404

Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:41:55 pm

Swarfendor, thank you for your help! So, here's what I found out, if this will help anyone. First, I believe that I broke AWN by accident and because I am an idiot who has used XP for too long. I created a desktop shortcut to chrome and then dragged the icon to AWN. It did actually seem to pin the icon to the bar, but AWN began to act funny afterwards, the chrome icon vanished from AWN after reboot and soon after the Indicator 3 app vanished.

I googled and came up with:
http://www.webupd8.org/2013/11/avant-wi ... s-new.html

Which led me to reinstall AWN. Problem seems fixed now. I also remembered now, what the proper way to pin an app to AWN:
Launch app, r-click icon in AWN bar, select "pin application".
Bug found, (awn shouldn't allow icons dragged to bar from desktop) lesson learned.

Swarfendor437

Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:02:43 pm

HI, Glad you got sorted - it has been a while now but I am sure that either in Zorin 4 or 5 you could drag to the panel after creating a desktop shortcut - a lot of things went West with the implementation of Gnome 3 - A pity we can't still be using Gnome2 and Zorin based on Ubuntu 10.10 - still I could always have some fun with VB with earlier releases! :D