This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin educational install problems

rickisrad

Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:46:27 pm

I have tried to install Ubuntu as a primary OS and It messed everything up. I tried to install Zorin to see if it could help but it too is not working. I have a HP pavilion a1540n with a Nvidia ge force 6150 le graphic card. I had the non supported windows XP installed and everything worked fine.

Zorin will load sometimes to the main screen and then freeze before it completely loads. There is no mouse cursor on the screen to navigate or if there is one it is not usable so I can not navigate anywhere to help. I have tried some of the command prompts from this site to try and help and either I am not using them correctly or they are not working. I think maybe my video card drivers became corrupt during this process but I can not figure out how to install when the operating system is not functional. I do not want to have to buy a new windows operating system for this computer as it is not my main computer and its only use will be for my children to use sparingly for (home) school. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Swarfendor437

Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:42:00 am

Ok based on your description, when you get to see the blue screen with just a keyboard = accessibility symbol, press the space key to get Language settings up - once you have selected Language and F3 for Keyboard layout, press F6 and select acpi=off - you may need to try the 'nomodeset' if acpi=off doesn't work - keep us posted! :D

rickisrad

Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:04:04 pm

It will not let me use the keyboard either. It freezes on the blue splash screen with just home and trash displayed. I reset the computer with Windows XP rescue disc and then installed the old version of zorin educational and it was functional but would not update anything. I just now tried to install the updated Zorin OS 9 educational and it went back to the frozen screen again. On the toolbar it displays two dotted loading circles in the left corner but they are frozen also.

Swarfendor437

Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:23:33 am

Hi can you follow decalman's guide on how to install using command-line?

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8004&p=38771#p38771

rickisrad

Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:41:14 pm

That is an awesome in depth write up! It works so far! Thanks a ton.

Swarfendor437

Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:41:57 pm

All thanks to the man - decalman! 120 more blue jewels to decalman for another member sorted! :D